A University Year in the Community (UYC) Project
Programme Coordinator: Miss Vicky Lo, Career Development Officer
Tel. No.: +852 3411 5790
A University Year in the Community (UYC) Project by the Hong Kong Baptist University is a unique gap year / semester option offering students to defer their studies at the university, and extending their learning boundaries through gaining hands-on workplace experience that complement their academic studies in different large corporations in Hong Kong.
According to ‘Survey on Opinions of Employers on Major Aspects of Performance of Publicly-funded First Degree Graduates in Year 2006’ conducted by the Hong Kong Government SAR, of which objective is to keep track of the efficiency of the tertiary education system and to understand the employers’ needs, work attitude and interpersonal skills were rated as the most important qualities required by graduates. However, these skills should be acquainted from the actual work environment.
In order to enhance the competitive edge of our university students in the aspects of work attitude, application of knowledge, and language effectiveness, the Career Centre has been striving to seeking different work attachment opportunities for our students, usually during the summer holidays.
With the support of multi-national employers, our students have gained valuable transferrable and work skills from these work attachment experiences. However, some employers reflect that 3-month is too short for a student to gain a fruitful experience. One-year / half-year placement would definitely create a win-win situation for both employers and our students.
- To broaden students’ vision about the world of work;
- To strengthen students’ life and transferable skills such as self-confidence, sense of co-operation, and problem solving ability;
- To assist students in their career planning and preparation;
- To facilitate a smooth transition to workplace upon their graduation.
Deliverables and Milestones
- Undergraduates in year 2 or 3 are invited to apply in accordance with their interest in different positions and companies.
- Participants will be required to publish a report to consolidate their experiences.
- During the placement period, a mentor is expected to be assigned by the company to supervise and provide guidance to the students. Besides, staff of CC would contact monitoring visits and monthly seminars to the participating companies so as to ensure the smooth operation of the project. On-going feedback from both employers and students are encouraged so that continuous improvements can be made.
FOR PARTICIPATING COMPANIES
- Our highly motivated students can be an additional workforce, in a cost-effective manner.
- Our students are all energetic, committed, hardworking and self-motivated. They have all-rounded skills and positive work attitude.
- As it is a university programme, all the students will be insured under the University Insurance Coverage.
- We will assist and facilitate in all logistics arrangement, e.g. preliminary screening, arrangement of interviews, documentation and etc.
- Participating companies are expected to provide training and guidance to our students.
- The tasks taken by the students should be educational and training in nature.
- A supervisor is expected to be assigned to supervise and provide guidance to our students. Ongoing feedbacks are encouraged so that the students can make improvement continuously.
- Participating companies are expected to pay monthly remuneration that complies with the requirements of the Minimum Wage Ordinance (MWO)(CAP. 608). Please refer to Statutory Minimum Wage for more details.
- Comments and feedbacks are valuable for future improvement. It is highly appreciated if our participating companies would fill in an evaluation form after the work attachment.
- During the placement, monitoring visits will be conducted by CC staff who will also organize on-going trainings for our students. Besides, in order to keep track of the performance of our students and to ensure the smooth run of the project, employers’ sharing and students’ sharing will be hosted periodically.
- A graduation dinner will be organized upon the completion of the placement, showing our appreciation towards the participating companies as well as recognizing the good work of the students. Evaluation of the project will be done via different channels – feedbacks from employers and self-reflection from students. Focus groups will also be hosted. Finally, an exhibition will be held and a report will be published so as to share the fruitful experiences of students.
- Undergo a half-year / one-year work attachment
- Important Note: you will be required to take a study leave for one semester / one year, leading to a deferment of your graduation.
- Extension of employment on a part-time basis is possible, upon the mutual agreement with the participating companies
- Training and guidance will be provided by participating companies.
- The tasks undertaken will be of learning substances.
- A supervisor will be assigned to supervise and provide guidance to you.
- With the liaison and consolidation of academic departments, Career Centre (CC) will invite large corporations in Hong Kong to provide you with one year placement of which you would gain valuable work experience. You would be involved in different tasks and different roles in these companies including –
- Accounting & Finance
- Sales & Marketing
- Human Resources Management
- Information Technology
- Advertising & Public Relations
- Translation & Editorial Tasks
- Event Management
- Research & Development
- Before the commencement of the placement, you will undergo different kinds of training which include self-understanding as well as workshops and seminars on topics related to workplace issues. It is expected that you will be equipped with some basic skills for the workplace.
During the placement, monitoring visits may be conducted by CC staff who will also organize on-going trainings for you. Besides, in order to keep track of your performance and to ensure the smooth run of the project, employers’ sharing and students’ sharing will be hosted periodically.
Evaluation of the project will be done via different channels – feedbacks from employers and your self-reflection. Focus groups or sharing session will also be hosted to share your fruitful experiences.
- Year 2-3 students
- - Money or salary is not our main focus. What we value is the learning opportunities provided by our participating companies. But all participating companies are expected to pay monthly remuneration (minimum wage policy) to cover your meal and transportation expenses.
- UYC Schedule