STEM Internship Scheme - Notes to Participating Employers
Job posting at
With the support from the Innovation and Technology Fund (ITF), Career Centre (CC) of Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU) has launched the HKBU STEM Internship Scheme for STEM graduates and students. The scheme aims to encourage STEM students to gain innovation and technology (I&T)-related work experience and to foster their interest in pursuing a career in I&T.
Requirements / Details of the Internship
- Companies providing internships which contain I&T elements are welcome to support the scheme.
- The internship period must be at least one month. However, priority will be given to companies who can offer a vacancy for three consecutive months or more.
- Both 2020 graduates and non-final year students (local) are eligible to join the scheme. Priority will be given to companies who offer internships to 2020 graduates.
- With the support of ITF, a monthly subsidy of $10,500 capped at three months per student (i.e. $31,500) will be reimbursed to the participating employer after the internship.
To join the Scheme
- Interested employers are welcome to submit job information with job details and training plan at https://sa.hkbu.edu.hk/portal/career/interns/stem_internship_scheme/employer/ .
- HKBU CC will review the job details and inform respective employers whether or not the job submitted can be included in the scheme within 1 working day.
- A tailor made job portal has been created for the scheme. Interested students would apply for different vacancies according to the application methods stated in the job portal.
- To secure the funding from ITF, before giving an offer to an HKBU candidate, the employer must inform HKBU CC who will double check if the successful candidate is eligible to be included in the scheme. The employer will be notified of the result within 1 working day.
- After the notification of HKBU CC, the employer can contact the eligible candidate and then sign an employer contract with him / her. The employer is required to submit the signed contract to HKBU CC within 3 working days. The quota will be released to another successful candidate if the signed contract is not received by HKBU CC on time.
After the Internship / Reimbursement Arrangement
- After the completion of the internship, the participating employer has to submit an internship report and provide copies of payment supporting documents to HKBU CC.
- Once the above documents are confirmed and approved, HKBU CC will reimburse an employer the full amount of subsidy, according to the actual period of internship, $10,500 per month with a maximum of $31,500 per student if the student has been employed for three months. **
**-Under the scheme, the subsidy is HK$350 per day (i.e. $10,500 / 30 days);
-The maximum duration of the subsidized period is 90 days;
-The maximum subsidy for each student is $31,500 (i.e. 90 days); and
-The first and the last days of internship should be working days. In case Saturday and/or Sunday are regarded as working day in the employment contract, they can be included in the subsidy calculation.
- If a student does not complete the entire agreed employment period as stipulated in the contract, the employer has to provide the pro-rated pay to the student based on the actual working period. HKBU CC will reimburse the subsidy to the employer based on the actual working period provided that the actual working period is no less than four weeks. If the actual working period is less than four weeks, no subsidy will be reimbursed to the employer, no matter the early termination was initiated by the HKBU student or the employer.
- Participating employers have to provide employment insurance and MPF to students during the employment period.
- HKBU CC will evaluate employer’s company size, learning values of the internship, etc. to determine the quota for each employer. HKBU holds sole discretion in this decision.