Common Recruitment Examination (CRE)
Common Recruitment Examination(CRE) Information
The CRE and BLT in Hong Kong (An update on 14 October, 2019)
Common Recruitment Examination and Basic Law Test (CRE & BLT) originally scheduled for 5 October 2019 was postponed.
All candidates will be arranged to take the selected paper(s) on 14 December 2019. An e-mail will be sent to candidates in late November 2019 notifying them of the relevant examination time and details. If any candidates do not receive the e-mail by 2 December 2019, they should immediately contact the CSEU by phone at (852) 2537 6429 or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Any requests for change of examination venue will NOT be considered. For details and updates, please visit the CSB webpage regularly.
(Posted on July 2019)
The next round of Common Recruitment Examination and Basic Law Test (Degree / Professional Grades) (CRE and BLT) is scheduled to be held on 5 October 2019 in Hong Kong. For the convenience of those studying or residing outside Hong Kong, the above examination is also scheduled to be held on 7 December 2019 in seven other cities, namely Beijing, London, San Francisco, New York, Toronto, Vancouver and Sydney.
The application period for the coming CRE and BLT to be held in Hong Kong will be from 2 to 15 August 2019 while application for sitting the examination outside Hong Kong will be open from 21 September to 4 October 2019. Applicants may choose to take any of the CRE papers and / or the BLT paper in this examination either in Hong Kong OR in one of the cities outside Hong Kong. The application details and an on-line application system will be available on the webpage of Civil Service Bureau (CSB) at https://www.csb.gov.hk/english/recruit/cre/949.html during the application periods.
The CRE and BLT are open to all holders of degree or professional qualifications who are interested in applying for civil service posts at degree or professional level. Students who will have attained a degree in the 2019-20 academic year may also apply to take the coming CRE and BLT.
Mock practices for CRE & BLT
In order to help students to familiarize with the CRE/BLT format, Career Centre will organize a series of mock practice sessions and workshops in September. The schedule will be uploaded onto our website in early September. For enquiries related with preparations and mock tests sessions, please contact Career Centre via email at email@example.com or hotline at 3411-7440.
Enquiries about CRE/BLT
General enquiries regarding the CRE and BLT may be directed to CSB by phone at 2537 6429 or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Preparation for CRE/BLT
In order to help you to familiarize with the CRE/BLT format, Career Centre will organize a series of mock practice sessions and workshops in September. The schedule will be uploaded onto our website in early September. Interested students please register at our enrollment system (https://sa.hkbu.edu.hk/portal/career/enrollment/) You may also visit the CSB website for more information. (https://www.csb.gov.hk/english/recruit/cre/949.html)
Acceptance of Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination (HKDSEE) results as equivalent to the results of the CRE
According to the announcement from the Civil Services Bureau, please kindly note the following arrangements for accepting the results of HKDSEE as equivalent to the results of the CRE recently promulgated:
(a) ‘Level 5 or above’ and ‘Level 4′ in Chinese Language in HKDSEE are accepted as equivalent to ‘Level 2′ and ‘Level 1′ respectively in the Use of Chinese paper in CRE; and
(b) ‘Level 5 or above’ and ‘Level 4′ in English Language in HKDSEE are accepted as equivalent to ‘Level 2′ and ‘Level 1′ respectively in the Use of English paper in CRE.
Some Useful Tips
Use of Chinese:
- Most of the questions are related to current affairs, reading newspapers will definitely be beneficial.
- Do more practices on Erroneous character (錯別字).
Use of English:
- While working on the comprehension, you should
- Read the questions first, and then the passage. By doing so, you can actively search the information you need, and save you lots of time.- Never confirm your answer until you finish the whole passage.- Highlight important points when you scan the passage.- Try to understand the structure of the passage. Normally, the topic sentence (first sentence of each paragraph) summarizes the paragraph.
- While working on the Error Identification, you should read the sentence carefully; eliminate error of grammar or usage. Never choose an answer that will change the original meaning of the sentence.
- Paragraph improvement tests your knowledge about paragraph cohesion, rather than merely grammatical errors. Common questions involve:
- Redundancy- Lack of details- Ambiguity- Choppy sentences
- Pace yourself. Don’t waste too much time on a single question.
- Read all the answer choices before confirming your answer.
- Whatever questions you are doing, try to eliminate as many as possible.
- As there are different sections in the Aptitude Test, try to finish the ones which you are strong at first, and leave the difficult ones to finish at the end.
- Make a guess rather than leaving it blank when you deal with difficult questions.
- Sometimes you are only asked to give an approximate answer, therefore, do not waste time to figure out the exact answer.
- Keep track on the units, round off numbers when necessary.
- Don’t’ make any assumption when dealing with verbal reasoning; assume what the passage says as universal truth. Concentrate on the structure of the statement instead.
Basic Law Test
The Basic Law Test (BLT) is a 20-minute bilingual paper comprising 15 multiple-choice questions. The paper assesses candidates’ Basic Law knowledge. There is no passing mark for the BLT and the full mark of the paper is 100. All candidates applying for civil service jobs advertised from 1 September 2008 onwards will be assessed on their Basic Law knowledge. For more details, please visit the CSB website at (https://www.csb.gov.hk/english/recruit/basiclaw/1372.html)
Please pay attention to the announcements from website of CSB regularly for latest information. General enquiries regarding the CRE and / or BLT may be directed to the Civil Service Examination Unit by phone at (852) 2537 6429 or by e-mail to email@example.com