Start main content

Student Grievance Procedures


The University is a community of scholars. Mutual trust and respect among its staff and student members are important elements of the well-being of the community. To this end, the University encourages frank and constructive dialogue between parties of different views to resolve conflicts and disputes in an informal way before they escalate into serious grievances.

Students should first try to resolve their grievances through discussion with the person who is most closely concerned with the subject matter. Apologies and possible redress could help settle the grievances. Assistance can be sought from a counselor at the Counseling and Development Centre of the Office of Student Affairs if necessary.

However, in the event that a preferred mode of informal resolution fails, the student may follow the following procedures to make his/her grievance heard.

Proper Channels for Handling Grievances

Area of Problem

Sequence of Whom to Talk to

Academic Matters

  1. Course Instructor/Lecturer
  2. Programme Coorinator/Director/Head; Department Head/Centre Director
  3. Dean of Faculty/Academic Registrar (undergraduates)/Graduate School (postgraduates)

Administrative Matters

  1. Staff members directly in-charge of the matter
  2. Staff officer overseeing the matter
  3. Senior Officer of the relevant office
  4. Head of relevant office
  5. Vice-President overseeing the office or as designated by the President

University Policies

  1. Relevant Committees/Subcommittees where the policy originated (either through a student member or secretary of the forum)
  2. Director of Student Affairs

Relationship with Student Organizations

  1. Executive committee of the relevant student organization
  2. Internal supervisory bodies/advisors of the relevant student organization
  3. Director of Student Affairs

Relationship with Fellow Students

  1. Relevant student
  2. Counsellors at the Office of Student Affairs
  3. Director of Student Affairs if student discipline or mediation related

Conduct of Individual Staff Member

  1. Staff Member concerned
  2. Immediate supervisor of the staff member concerned
  3. Head of Department or Office
  4. Human Resources Office
  5. Respective Dean or Vice-President overseeing the relevant department office

Arbitration Panel

As a last resort, if a grievance cannot be dealt with satisfactorily through the hierarchy, the aggrieved student may still appeal to the President and Vice-Chancellor who may, at his own discretion, set up an arbitration panel to deal with the grievance.

Role of the Office of Student Affairs

The Director of Student Affairs will be pleased to advise on the proper channel through which a complaint can be made.