Code of Practice
English has been the Medium of Instruction of the University since 2003. With the vision to be a leading liberal arts University in Asia, the University strives to provide the best cross-cultural learning experiences to students. As more students of diverse cultural backgrounds have been admitted and a campus environment conducive to in-depth cultural and intellectual exchange should be established for the benefits of ALL students, the Code of Practice is therefore approved by the Senate in 2018. The Code, based on the principles of inclusion and respect, is to provide a standard of good practice for language use in outside classroom activities. It serves the purpose of facilitating communication and exchange among all members of the University in the campus.
- All text announcements, promotional and display materials (printed or online) should contain an English version. All verbal announcements should contain a version or synopsis in English.
- For talks/forums conducted in a language other than English, the announcements and promotional materials should contain sufficient information in English so that nonspeakers of the language would have a basic idea of what the activity is about. Such information should include and not be limited to particulars such as date, time, speaker and title, as well as a synopsis of the content of the activities.
- Official ceremonies (e.g., inauguration, opening and closing ceremonies) should be conducted in English or simultaneous interpretation should be provided as appropriate.
- Social or recreational activities should be conducted in English or arrangements should be made to ensure that students who are in attendance and do not understand the language being used, if any, can follow and be properly engaged without any problem. Such activities can be conducted in a language other than English without any English arrangement if all those in presence or intend to join share the language.
- For everyday conversation or social interaction on campus, students can freely use a language that is common to all those who are present or intend to join.