Start main content

Private rental housing can be hired directly from a landlord or through a property agent. Students are advised to read carefully the terms and conditions of the tenancy agreement before signing. In general, a fixed period of leasing, normally one year, is required. The flow chart shown below can facilitate students' understanding of the standard rental procedures in Hong Kong:

flow chat

If you are going to rent a flat/room through property agency, you should read the following for a better understanding about the steps of renting off-campus housing

As long as the Landlord and Tenant (Consolidation) Ordinance is not contravened, both parties of landlord and tenant are generally free to agree on the terms of the tenancy. Besides the rights and obligations listed on the agreement, there are some implied terms that landlord and tenant must comply with. For more details, please refer to the Contents of Tenancy Agreement and Appendix Common Provisions published by Estate Agents Authority.

Related Links:

>> Looking For Property Agencies

  1. The private rental properties and property agents mentioned in this website are for information only. The University has no relationship with these agents and would not take any responsibility about the content of these websites.
  2. The information and contents contained in this website are based on the analyses and interpretations publicly available information obtained from the HKSAR Government website and related parties which sources believed to be reliable. The University makes no guarantees to their accuracy, completeness, timeliness or correctness. The private rental properties information on this website should be used as references only with your own discretion. Any trades executed following the information on this website are taken at your own risk for your own account.