The Scholarship was set up with donations raised by the Village CARE Campaign in 2019. A group of HKBU alumni pledged a sum donation in support of students with special educational needs (SSEN). The Scholarship represents a way to show the alumni’s gratitude to their alma mater, an encouragement for the next generation of students to thrive in their own way.
To recognize the SSEN in pursuit of excellence in academic, non-academic merits and improvement in academic performance.
1. Full-time Year 2 or above HKBU students studying publicly-funded degree or above level programmes (but exclude exchange students not studying a full degree or above programme in Hong Kong), registered with special educational needs (SEN) as below:
- Attention deficit / hyperactivity disorder
- Autism spectrum disorders
- Hearing impairment
- Mental illness
- Physical disability
- Specific learning difficulties
- Speech impairment
- Chronic illness and visceral disability
- Visual impairment
2. A SSEN may be awarded the AGS more than once throughout his/her studies, and each application shall be considered based on individual merit and against other applications received in that year.
1. Applications will be assessed on the basis of the following:
- Good academic standing of significant improvement in the latest three semesters, with a cGPA of 2.5 or above after the first semester of 2022-23; for research postgraduate students, recommendation letters from their academic supervisors are required.
- Outstanding record of local/global extra-curricular activites.
- Active participation in service-learning activites, internship, and enthusiastic in community services.
2. Perference will be given to eligible applicants who have never received AGS or any SEN related funding support before.
3. Up to ten recipients per year subject to the availability of the funding source.
Scholarship recipients wil receive $ 15,000.
Office of Student Affairs reserves the final right on the decisions of subsidy allocation and guidelines amendment at any time without prior notice as appropriate.
Step I - Complete the online application form before the deadline 5:30pm of 27 January 2023 (Friday).
- Each student should submit the application form once only. Once the form is submitted, no modifications can be made.
- The form is a joint application form with the HKSAR Endeavour Merit Award (EMA). Please view the application eligibility of EMA at https://sa.hkbu.edu.hk/sfa/announcement. Eligible applicants will be considered for both EMA and AGS through one application.
- Upon form submission, an auto-email will be sent to the applicants. If no auto-email is received within 10 minutes, the form submission is unsuccessful and applicants should inform SFA immediately.
Step II - Submit the required supporting documents before the deadline 5:30pm of 27 January 2023 (Friday).
After completing the online form, applicants should follow the instructions below (also written in the auto-email) to submit the required supporting documents (including documentary proofs for awards/scholarships obtained, documentary proofs for participation in extra-curricular activities/community services, most recent medical report, etc.):
- Scan your documentary proofs as ONE (1) PDF file, and arrange them in proper order. Make sure they are clear and legible. Any parts that are missing, unclear, and incomprehensible will NOT be considered. Try to keep the PDF file size under 15MB. You may not need to scan the documents in the highest/best quality if standard quality suffices.
- Name your PDF file in the format of "AGS_EMA_student ID" (e.g. AGS_EMA_20201111). We may not be able to identify your submission if you do not name your file as instructed.
- Login to our “Documents Upload Platform” at https://sfa.hkbu.edu.hk/supporting_docs/ with your SSOid. Choose and click “HKBU Alumni Gratitude Scholarship and HKSAR Government Endeavour Merit Award” in the menu to upload the documents. We will NOT be able to receive your documents if you choose another scheme, so please click the scheme name carefully. The “Documents Upload Platform” will close automatically at 5:30pm of 27 January 2023 (Friday). You will receive an auto-email from the system upon successful upload of your PDF file.
- To avoid last-minute rush/unexpected technical errors/difficulties that may require extra time to solve, you are advised to prepare and upload your PDF file as early as possible before the deadline. Note that the submission time is subject to our system’s clock on the website, which may or may not be the same as your watch, and the Office of Student Affairs has the discretion to make final judgments on whether the application is considered late.
- Online application without the submission of supporting documents will NOT be considered.
- Submission by email/fax/hardcopy or after the application deadline will NOT be accepted.
All applications will be assessed by an internal selection panel. The selection results will be announced in March/April 2023.
- Please click here for general tips on completing scholarship application forms.
- Faculty members are welcome to encourage eligible students to apply.
Submission of Reflective Essays & Other Obligations
- To express awardees' gratitude to the University alumni for their generous support for the AGS, they are required to submit a sharing article in around 350 words and three high-resolution group and/or individual photos. 2022-23 awardees have to submit it within a month upon the receipt of the Scholarship and should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Late/no submission may result in score deduction in applying other HKBU SEN related financial schemes.
- Recipients may be invited to attend some experience-sharing occasions and/or meet with Scholarship's donors if requested by the Office of Student Affairs.
CHAU Hoi Yee; Bachelor of Business Administration
(Hons.) [Accounting], Minor in Psychology
I am grateful to receive the HKBU Alumni Gratitude Scholarship (AGS) which supports me towards life-long development.
I am a final-year student majoring in accountancy and minoring in psychology. Throughout my university life, I have become more aware of my life goals and values. I realized my curiosity and passion for learning, and hence I studied diligently. However, when compared to other students, I noticed that there was still a discrepancy. My learning progress was hampered since I required extra time and assistance to finish my revision and assignments. I was frustrated because there were still barriers to overcome. Simply having a passion may not be sufficient. Instead, having external assistance can help you get one step closer to your objective. The AGS scholarship did not only acknowledge my ongoing efforts but also offered me financial assistance to maintain a stable study condition during the fifth wave of pandemics. Therefore, this scholarship was immensely helpful to me in completing my final year of study. (... more)
CHONG Ka Man; Bachelor of Arts (Hons.)
in Chinese Language and Literature
It is my honour to be selected as one of the recipients of the HKBU Alumni Gratitude Scholarship. Through this sharing article, I would like to express my deepest gratitude to the donors who provided me the opportunity to be awarded. In addition, I would like to share the benefits that I have received from the HKBU Alumni Gratitude Scholarship.
With the scholarship, I am able to take the courses that I am interested in, and also broaden my knowledge through learning opportunities. This knowledge and experience will be of great benefit to my future career as a teacher.
As a student with special educational needs, I am grateful to have special arrangements of classes and exams, it helped me a lot. But sometimes, I felt very stressed. (... more)
LAM Wan Ki; Bachelor of Arts (Hons.) in Music
This is my great honour to receive the Alumni Gratitude Scholarship from the school, which gives me the encouragement and confidence to continue my goal and further studies after the graduation of my degree. As a final year student, it is quite busy before graduation, especially when having an honour project and tons of stuff academically. Therefore, work life balance is very important, which I have joined the Pastel Nagomi Art Associate Instructor Course held by the St. James' Settlement, getting the qualification of the Pastel Nagomi Art Associate Instructor while enjoying the time of drawing after school. Also, due to the pandemic, there is less income with the decreasing number of the lessons I taught. The scholarship has helped me to decrease my financial burden, support my daily needs despite the situation of insufficient income during the coronavirus disease.
Except for studying Music as my major program, I am also taking up psychology as my minor program. Furthermore, (... more)
LAU Cheuk Yan; Bachelor of Business
Administration (Hons.) [Finance]
This letter is to express my sincere gratitude to the doner of this scholarship and share about how it makes my university life better in general. Like any another student, I like to be granted, but not likely does this happen to me, I was never the top in class so no matter how hard i try, scholarship wasn't my thing. Until when i get in to the university, i received a lot of help, financially and emotionally. This is the feeling that I never would have thought of receiving from a collage, since I should behave as a grown up, it is all on me to take care of myself financially, but I can tell how the benefactors and school staffs are smoothing the path towards adulthood for me. I love the feeling of growing up slowly and steadily without feeling the anxiety from financial burden. It gives me a buffer to breathe and take my time to plan out everything. As much as the scholarship helps, I learnt to pass it further too, I would like to take this as my goal to be able to help the youths in the future, because I know exactly the hardships and suffering how miscellaneous fees can cause. I enjoy my university life so much more that I can get financial help to participate in activities i like. (... more)
LO Chun On; Bachelor of Arts (Hons.) in History
I am writing to deliver my deepest gratefulness to the alumni donors and HKBU’s Unit for Students with Special Educational Needs. It is my honor to be selected as the recipient of HKBU Alumni Gratitude Scholarship (AGS).
I originate from a grassroot family, I am a year 3 student major in History and minor in Social Work Studies. The COVID-19 pandemic has stayed in our community for more than 2 years. It has continued to bring huge economic recession and large-scale unemployment population to our society. Many families have lost their Breadwinners and their precious job positions. I sincerely bless that the pandemic will end soon. Then, our society can return to normal and peace again. (... more)
POON Kwok Wing; Bachelor of Arts (Hons.) in History
First of all, I would like to thank the University and the USSEN for giving me this scholarship opportunity. I would also like to thank the alumni for setting up this scholarship so that our students have the opportunity to get a sum of money to help achieve the goals.
I am in final year of college. I am not ready to work in the workplace. I am agonizing over this. I know my personal problem. Although I have been studying in college for a few years. However, I have not been able to solve my problem well. Therefore, I intend to use this scholarship to participate in the counseling services of a number of institutions in order to understand and solve my own problems. Although I'm not sure whether I can actually solve the problem. But I feel that I always have to take the first step which finds out the problem. Then I may come up with the solution to the problem. (... more)
TANG Tik Man; Bachelor of Arts (Hons.) in Translation
I would like to express my gratitude to the donors of HKBU Alumni Gratitude Scholarship (AGS) and USSEN. For the donors, thank you for the generosity. For USSEN, thank you for being a bridge to provide me with this opportunity to receive this scholarship.
I always want to participate in different volunteer work activities to make a contribution to society. Thank you for the financial support, so I need not to worry about my financial status while doing volunteer work. Recently, I joined an anti-drug program organized by Caritas. I was responsible for promoting anti-drug messages to the public, especially drug-users. I am very happy to be part of this meaningful program. Since I have received a lot of help from others all the way, I want to help others as well. Thank you for letting my dream come true. (... more)
WONG Tin Yau David; Bachelor of Science (Hons.) in
Computer Science [Information Systems and Analytics]
I am grateful that I have been chosen to be one awardee of HKBU Alumni Gratitude Scholarship. This scholarship recognises my achievement during 4-year undergraduate study. Being awarded this scholarship is also a motivation for me to keep on heading to my goal, to become a computer scientist. I have planned to use the scholarship to enhance and well-equip myself.
Being a computer scientist, I am interested in using logical and analytical to solve various kind of problems. During the study in the university, I have spent summer in few internships and attended summer course offered by Fudan University. (... more)
YU Chung Man Janice; Bachelor of Arts (Hons.)
in Music [Music Education]
I am very thankful to be one of the recipients of the HKBU Alumni Gratitude Scholarship (AGS) this year and this is my great honor to receive this prestigious award. I must take this opportunity to express my immense gratitude to the University alumni for their generous support for this amazing scholarship. SEN students need to face more challenges and require much more efforts in their study path. Since the recipients of the scholarship are awarded in recognition for their outstanding or significant improvement in academic performance, this incredible award gives me a great motivation and opportunity to thrive for the highest in my study journey.
My study programme in Hong Kong Baptist University is Bachelor of Arts (Honors) in Music and my programme concentration is music education. Upon completion, I plan to pursue a career in (... more)