HKBU Alumni Gratitude Scholarship (AGS)
The Scholarship was set up with donations raised by the Village CARE Campaign in 2019. A group of HKBU alumni pledged a sum donation in support of students with special educational needs (SSEN). The Scholarship represents a way to show the alumni’s gratitude to their alma mater, an encouragement for the next generation of students to thrive in their own way.
To recognize the SSEN in pursuit of excellence in academic, non-academic merits and improvement in academic performance.
- Full-time HKBU students studying UGC funded degree or above level programmes, registered with special educational needs (i.e. physical disability, hearing impairment, visual impairment, speech and language impairment, visceral disability, specific learning disabilities, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, autism spectrum disorder, developmental coordination disorder, mental illness, and chronic medical illness, etc.).
- Students who have outstanding or significant improvement in academic performance and record of active participation in extra-curricular, service-learning activities, or internship.
- A SSEN may be awarded the AGS more than once throughout his/her studies, and each application shall be considered based on individual merit and against other applications received in that year.
1. Applications will be assessed on the basis of the followings:
- Good academic standing or significant improvement in the latest 3 semesters, with a cGPA of 2.5 or above after the first semester of 2020/21; for research postgraduate students, recommendation letters from their academic supervisors are required.
- Outstanding record of local/global extra-curricular activities.
- Active participation in service-learning activities, internship, and enthusiastic in community services.
2. Preference will be given to eligible applicants who have never received any SEN related funding schemes before.
Number of Recipient
Up to 10 per year subject to the availability of the funding source.
Value of Scholarship
Application Procedure and Timeline
- Please click here to complete the online Application Form. Each student should submit the application form once only. Once the form is submitted, no modifications can be made. (It is a joint application form with the HKSAR Government Endeavour Merit Award (EMA). Eligible applicants will be considered for both AGS and EMA through one application.)
- Upon form submission, an auto-email will be sent to the applicants. If no auto-email is received within 10 minutes, the form submission is unsuccessful and applicants should inform SFA immediately.
- Applicants should print out the auto-email and submit it together with copies of the required supporting documents [including documentary proofs for awards/scholarships obtained, documentary proofs for participation in extra-curricular activities/community services, most recent medical report, one recommendation letter from academic supervisors (for postgraduate applicants only), etc.] to the SFA Unit of Office of Student Affairs at WLB 401 (Rm 401, Level 4, The Wing Lung Bank Building for Business Studies), Shaw Campus, at or before 5:30 pm of 29 January 2021 (Friday).
- In the event of unforeseeable circumstances, such as extreme weather that resulted in the sudden closure of SFA Counter on the day of the deadline, SFA will extend the deadline of hard copy application form submission to 5:30 pm of the following working day. However, the online application platform will close as scheduled, and no extension will be offered.
- Online application without the submission of printed email or copies of supporting documents will NOT be considered. Submission by email/fax, partial or late submission will NOT be accepted.
- All applications will be assessed by an internal selection panel. The selection results will be announced in March/April 2021.
Please click here for general tips on completing scholarship application forms.
Faculty members are welcome to encourage eligible students to apply.
Submission of Reflective Essays & Other Obligations
- To express awardees' immense gratitude to the University alumni for their generous support for the AGS, they are required to submit a sharing article in not less than 400 words and several photos of themselves. 2020-21 awardees have to submit it by Friday, 30 April 2021 and should be sent to email@example.com. Late/no submission may result in score deduction in applying other HKBU SEN related financial schemes.
- Please refer to the following guidelines for writing your essay:
- The reflective essay should include:
- A summary of the nature and aims of using the Scholarship
- Provide details on how you would benefit from the Scholarship with details on:
- Results achieved
- Obstacles encountered and areas for improvement (if any)
- Impact on the recipient’s further education
- Feedback and evaluation
- At least three high-resolution group and/or individual photos
- Recipients may be invited to attend some experience-sharing occasions and/or meet with Scholarship's donors if requested by the Office of Student Affairs.
- The SA reserves the final rights on the decisions of subsidy allocation and guidelines amendment at any time without prior notice as appropriate.
- Awardees are required to submit a sharing article, at least three photos, and a completed evaluation survey to USSEN upon receipt of the Scholarship.
Scholarships & Financial Aid Unit, Office of Student Affairs
Tel : +852 3411 2307 / 3411 23121
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Address : Room WLB401, Level 4, The Wing Lung Bank Building for Business Studies, Shaw Campus
Mondays to Fridays – 9:00am to 1:00pm and 2:00pm to 5:30pm
Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays – Closed