HKBU Alumni Gratitude Grant (AGG)
The Grant was set up with donations raised by the Village CARE Campaign in 2019. A group of HKBU alumni pledged a sum donation in support of students with special educational needs (SSEN). The Grant represents a way to show the alumni’s gratitude to their alma mater, an encouragement for the next generation of students to thrive in their own way.
Through the applicants’ participation or organization of local or global activities/projects:
- To enhance the overall competences of SSEN.
- To enhance the sense of belonging, support and care of SSEN.
- Full-time HKBU students studying UGC funded or self-financed sub-degree or above level programmes, registered with special educational needs (i.e. physical disability, hearing impairment, visual impairment, speech and language impairment, visceral disability, specific learning disabilities, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, autism spectrum disorder, developmental coordination disorder, mental illness, and chronic medical illness, etc.).
- The proposed activities or projects must meet the objectives of the Grants as listed in the objectives above. The activities may include participation or organization of local or global experiential programmes, service-learning opportunities, research study, publication, overseas visit, etc.
- No retrospective application will be considered.
- Multi-application is accepted on different nature of proposed activities/projects in each academic year.
- Applications will be assessed on the basis of the followings:
- Capability of fulfilling the objective of the Grant.
- The impact and significance of the proposed activities/projects in fostering any of the seven HKBU graduate attributes of the SSEN.
- Effectiveness of raising participants’ awareness and understanding of SEN/disability/inclusion/equal opportunity.
2. Preference will be given to eligible applicants who have never received any SEN related funding schemes before.
Number of Recipient
Up to 10 per year subject to the availability of the funding source.
Maximum Fundable Amount
Discretion will be exercised to approve additional grants for activities/projects with strong justifications and the initiatives are proven to be well deserved.
Application Procedure and Timeline
Please refer to the flowchart below for the application procedures:
Submission of Part A: Confirmation of Eligibility
Applicants should first complete Part A to confirm their eligibility before proceeding to apply for a grant for a proposed learning activity/project (Part B).
- Eligible students should first fill in an online application form (Part A ) to confirm their eligibility. In addition to personal particulars, they need to state their reasons for application and provide an initial plan of using this grant for the proposed learning activity/project.
- Applicants will be notified of their results of Part A normally within five working days by HKBU student email after the submission.
- Successful applicants of Part A will invite to complete Part B for funding applications for the proposed learning activity/project via HKBU student email.
- For applicants who wish to apply for more than one proposed learning activity/project in different categories, i.e. applying grant for an exchange programme and an English grammar course, please separate your applications and submit two online application forms to us.
Submission of Part B: Funding Application for Proposed Activity/Project
Applicants should have submitted “Part A: Confirmation of Eligibility” and received an approval email from USSEN before filling out Part B. Please complete and submit Part B AT LEAST SIX WEEKS prior to the start of the learning activities/projects by providing all support documents listed below:
- Documentary proof for participation in extra-curricular activities and community services;
- Documentary proof for awards and scholarships obtained;
- Copies of most recent medical reports and/or supporting documents such as assessment report to prove your special education need(s);
- Proposal for your proposed learning activities/projects.
- The application opens throughout the year.
- Eligible applicants can apply for grants to support their learning activities/projects in different types more than once. A separate application for grants should be made for each learning activity/project.
- For applicants who wish to use this grant to support their learning activities/projects, they should submit online applications (Part A and B) and all supporting documents at least six weeks prior to the commencement of each learning activity/project.
- After internal vetting, applicants may be invited for a meeting to present their proposed learning activities/projects, if necessary.
- Successful applicants will be notified of application results by email within five working weeks after submission of all required documents/meetings held and further information provided if any.
Submission of Reflective Essays & Other Obligations
- After the approval of the use of grant and completion of the learning activity, students are required to submit a reflective essay for each proposed learning activity with an emphasis on outcomes, results achieved, use of the grant awarded, feedback and evaluation.
- To express your immense gratitude to the University alumni for their generous support for the AGG, you are required to submit a reflective essay and several photos of yourself. Please be reminded to submit it along with supporting documents within two calendar weeks upon completion of a learning activity and should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Late/no submission may result in score deduction in applying other HKBU SEN related financial schemes.
- Please refer to the following guidelines for writing your essay:
- The reflective essay should include:
- An account of the proposed learning activity completed
- An evaluation of the proposed learning activity with details on:
- Results achieved
- Use of the grant awarded
- Obstacles encountered and areas for improvement (if any)
- Feedback and evaluation
- At least three high-resolution group and/or individual photos
- Recipients may be invited to attend some experience-sharing occasions and/or meet with Grant's donors if requested by the Office of Student Affairs.
Reimbursement of Grant
- The HKBU Finance Office will arrange Grant's reimbursement upon the student's submission of the sharing article, photos, participation record, payment proofs of the learning activity and details of your Hong Kong bank account to us within two calendar weeks upon completion of your proposed learning activity.
- Students may receive the grant via your bank account normally in around 8 - 12 weeks, subject to the actual receipts to be received, acceptance by the Finance Office and reassessment may be made by the Office. The reimbursement will be made upon satisfactory acceptance of the final auditing and the reflective essay.
- Students will not be reimbursed any amount spent over the approved amount. Any unspent amount will be retained by or returned to the Grant.
- Successful applicants must hold valid HKBU full-time studentship at the time of reimbursement, otherwise, no approved grant will be reimbursed.
- The SA reserves the final rights on the decisions of subsidy allocation and guidelines amendment at any time as appropriate.
Successful applicants are required to submit an evaluation report including a reflective essay, financial report, al least three photos along with all required supporting documents and original receipt(s) to USSEN within two calendar weeks upon completion of the respective activity.
Planning Your Projects
Advice? Please talk to us if you have any preliminary project ideas and would like to get some advice turning them into feasible and impactful initiatives!
For any enquires, please contact Miss Gloria Yu of the Unit for Students with Special Educational Needs, Counseling and Development Centre, Office of Student Affairs:
Tel : +852 3411 5230
Email : email@example.com
Address : Room DLB704A, Level 7, David C. Lam Building, Shaw Campus
Mondays to Fridays – 9:00am to 1:00pm and 2:00pm to 5:30pm
Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays – Closed