Start main content




Hong Kong’s education emphasizes on bilingualism which equips students to go global. English is the official language of HKBU for teaching except Chinese related courses and other language courses.

The University also provides different foreign language courses (either credit-bearing or non-credit-bearing) for students. For example, the Mainland Student Services Unit offers Cantonese class for non-local students; Language Centre provides courses on Chinese, English, French, German, Japanese, Spanish, etc for all students.


Learning Cantonese is very important? Really?

  1. 如果不會廣東話……
  2. 來學一些U Language

(Chinese Version Only)

Teaching Modes

The two main teaching modes in the university are lecture and tutorial. Professors give presentations in lectures. In tutorials, tutors guide students to discuss and present in groups with the aim of facilitating exchange of ideas. Besides, for particular programmes, there are experiments, workshops and internships based on the design of each programme.

University education focuses on proactive learning and critical thinking. Apart from learning in lectures, students should do research individually or study in groups to accomplish required coursework like group projects and final term papers.

Examination Reference

Students can download examination past papers at the library examination paper database according to their faculties, departments, course code and name of the courses. It helps students to prepare for final examinations (applicable for certain courses). For more information, please refer to the following website:

Grade Point Average Calculation   

Letter Grade Academic Performance Grade Point Per Unit
A Excellent 4.00
A - 3.67
B + Good 3.33
B 3.00
B - 2.67
C + Satisfactory 2.33
C 2.00
C - 1.67
D Marginal Pass 1.00
E Conditional Pass 0.00
F Failure 0.00
I Incomplete Not included in GPA calculation
S Satisfactory
U Unsatisfactory
W Withdrawn
YR Year Grade
NR Not Yet Reported
PR Project to be resubmitted

For more information, please refer to the following website:


New teaching mode? Can you elaborate more?

  1. Undergraduate students
  2. Postgraduate students

(Chinese Version Only)

Based on the programme requirement and the result of pre-registration, the University will arrange and release the class schedule before the start of each semester.  Depending on the individual’s study plans, students can add or drop courses through the BUniPort within the first two weeks of each semester.  This is called the "Add/Drop period".

Undergraduate Programme

Programme Structure
1. University Core Course: Students are required to complete 13 credits
  a. University English I (3 credits)
  b. University English II (3 credits)
  c. University Chinese (3 credits)
  d. Healthy Lifestyle (2 credits)
  e. Art of Persuasion (2 credits)
2. General Education (GE) Course: Students are required to complete 18 credits
  a. Foundational Courses (9 credits)
  b. Interdisciplinary Thematic Courses (6 credits)
  c. GE Capstone (3 credits)
3. Major Core Course: Compulsory courses of the major
4. Major Elective Course: Elective courses of the major
5. Free Elective Course: Students can take any courses according to their interests and credit requirements

Special courses/ Requirements
Some courses or special requests can be applied through the BUniPort's online form. (Location: Studies> My e-Application> Online Form> Online Form):

Application Approver
Excess Study Load Department Head / Programme Director
Pre-/Co-requisite Requirements Head of Course Offering Department
Target Student Requirements Course Instructor
Adding a Course (for course which requires instructor's approval only) Course Instructor

Taught Postgraduate Programme

Most of the taught postgraduate programmes are one-year programmes.  Programme structures are comparatively simpler with fewer credits.

Programme Structure
1. Major Core Course: Compulsory courses of the major
2. Major Elective Course: Elective courses of the major
3. Others: internship, etc.University English II (3 credits)

Research Postgraduate Programme

Research postgraduate students are required to conduct their research project and complete a few courses (12-15 credits).  Students are advised to consult their supervisor before taking any course.

Remarks: A course code is composed of English letters and a four-digit number with the first number of the course code representing the level of the course.  A larger number represents a more advanced level.  Students should choose their courses with thorough consideration.


Add/drop is complicated!

  1. Details and tutorial

(Chinese Version Only)


According to the immigration ordinance of Hong Kong, non-local students can only do three types of part-time job by adhering to some specified conditions. Students cannot accept any paid or unpaid work, start or participate in any business activities without fulfilling the following conditions.

A.  Internship
Non-local students can apply for internships under the following conditions:

  i. The study programmes are full-time locally-accredited degree level or above;
 ii. The study period is not shorter than one academic year;
iii. The internship must be study/curriculum-related and arranged or endorsed by the university of the students; AND
iv. The duration of the internship is up to one academic year, or one-third of the normal duration of the relevant full-time academic programme, whichever is shorter.

There is no restriction on the nature of work, level of salary, location, number of working hours and employers. However, students should not take internships before starting their academic programme or after accomplishing the required subjects/ grade points for graduation.

B.  Part-time on-campus jobs
Non-local students can apply for part-time on-campus jobs under the following conditions:

  i. The study programmes are full-time locally-accredited at degree level or above;
 ii. The study period is not shorter than one academic year (excluding exchange students); AND
iii. The employment must take place within the campus of the university.

Working hours of on-campus part time jobs is limited to no more than 20 hours per week.

C.  Summer jobs
Non-local students can apply for summer jobs under the following conditions:

  i. The study programmes are full-time locally-accredited at degree or above;
 ii. The study period is not shorter than one academic year (excluding exchange students); AND
iii. The working period is limited to
  Undergraduates: 1 June – 31 August
  Postgraduates: 1 June – 31 August or the expiry date of the student visa (whichever is earlier)

There is no restriction on the nature of work, level of salary, location, number of working hours and employers for the summer jobs.

Postgraduates (Full-Time)

Starting from 1 November 2023, full-time non-local postgraduate students are temporarily exempted from the restrictions on taking up part-time jobs.  The arrangement, led by the Labour and Welfare Bureau, will be implemented on a trial basis for two years.  The new NOLs setting out the above exemption arrangement will be issued to eligible students later.

For any particular cases, please inquire the Career Centre of Office of Student Affairs or faculties. Related information is also available from the following websites:
The Hong Kong Immigration Department: 
Career Centre of Office of Student Affairs:
Student Helper Recruitment:

Remarks: Non-local students receive a “No Objection Letter” along with other documents from the Hong Kong Immigration Department before arriving Hong Kong. It contains detail information of nature of work that students can apply for and the conditions. Students must show this letter to the employer to finalise the employment. (Please refer to the Career Centre-Office of Student Affairs website for the letter sample).

Undergraduates are required to take Co-curricular Learning (CCL) as part of requirements of the University Life (U-Life) programme. CCL activities aim at enriching students’ knowledge apart from formal education modes, broadening one’s mind and guide their way to a holistic personal development.

CCL is a prerequisite for undergraduates’ graduation. Students are required to attend 8 CCL activities within 4 semesters (in the first two years). Students who cannot fulfil the requirement are forbidden to register for courses in the fifth semester.

For more information about CCL, please refer to the website:

Single Sign On user id (SSOid) is created automatically for both staff and students to sign in to the intranet and U-wide IT services using one set of login credentials. The services included email, campus network, printing services, BUniPort and Moodle, etc.

The SSOid for a student is pre-defined to be the student number, for example, 12045678. Other security settings such as password and security questions can be defined during the activation process. New students can activate the SSOid following the online instructions:

Two-Factor Authentication (2FA)

Two-factor authentication adds a second layer of security to personal accounts. Verifying the identity using a second factor (e.g. smartphone with an app) to approve authentication requests prevents anyone but the account owner from logging in. Most of the U-wide IT services require two-factor authentication, including email, BUniPort and Moodle, etc. Students can install the Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) following the online instructions:

BUniport (University Cyber Port System) is a convenient information gateway that bridges the University, students and staff through a unique, universal and unified cyber port.  Students can login by entering their student number and password to get the latest information about the university, check eAnnouncement, course information, timetable, emails and personal information.

The “HKBU Mobile” App is the official one-stop information platform of HKBU.  You can:

  • Access your academic related information including class timetable, examination timetable and grade records.
  • Access your financial related information including e-Statement, exchange disbursement and scholarship, etc.
  • Find out the information of catering services and the location  of campuses, buildings and green campus facilities in the University.
  • Register for student co-curricular activities and take attendance by QR Code.
  • Read the latest news of HGKBU, faculties, schools, academic departments, research centres and administrative offices.
  • View the HKBU Event Calendar

Apple Store - IOS

Google Play - Android



Student Learning Experience System (SLES) provides an integrated platform for HKBU students to keep track of their co-curricular and extracurricular activities. Students can check their activities records anytime so that they can have the information to monitor their personal growth, leadership development as well as career preparation and development.

SLES login platform:

Moodle is an online learning management system that is widely used around the world. By using the system students can discuss with others, communicate with teachers, download course materials, submit homework, and even take quizzes. It is an indispensable platform for daily learning.



What is moodle?

  1. Moodle

(Chinese Version Only)

BUhub is an interactive online platform for the HKBU community. Dedicated to students, alumni, employers, mentors and staff, BUhub is designed to seamlessly connect HKBU stakeholders on one easy-to-use platform. BUhub also matches job seekers with new openings, supports coaching and helps foster new entrepreneurial ventures for all participants.


The Students’ Union organises a computer sales exhibition in every September or October. Students can buy laptops/notebooks with a special offer by presenting their student identity cards. For more information, please pay attention to school notices.