Government Grants and Loans
All applications for Government financial assistance schemes are vetted by the Student Finance Office (SFO) under the Working Family and Student Financial Assistance Agency (WFSFAA), HKSAR Government, and all the financial assistance provided is from public fund.
The schemes for tertiary students include:
- Tertiary Student Finance Scheme – Publicly-funded Programmes (TSFS) [means-tested]
- Financial Assistance Scheme for Post-secondary Students (FASP) [means-tested]
- Non-means-tested Loan Scheme for Full-time Tertiary Students (NLSFT)
- Non-means-tested Loan Scheme for Post-secondary Students (NLSPS)
- Extended Non-means Tested Loan Scheme (ENLS) (for students who are NOT covered under the TSFS and FASP)
Eligibility of individual student for specific financial assistance scheme is subject to SFO's consideration. In general, the schemes are applicable to local students (students staying in Hong Kong holding student visas are NOT eligible) in different study modes / funding sources as follows:
Full-time publicly-funded (UGC-funded) programmes: TSFS / NLSFT *
Full-time self-financing undergraduate or sub-degree programmes listed in the course coding sheet (student's age above 30): NLSPS *
Full-time self-financing undergraduate or sub-degree programmes listed in the course coding sheet (student's age at or below 30): FASP / NLSPS *
Other self-financing and part-time programmes: ENLS **
* Local students who have the right of abode in Hong Kong or have resided or have had your home in Hong Kong continuously for three complete years prior to the commencement of the study programme/course.
** Local students who have the right of abode in Hong Kong (an alphabet “A” should be shown on the front side of your Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card) or have resided or have had your home in Hong Kong continuously for three complete years immediately prior to the commencement of the programme/course.