Inclusion Student Ambassador Programme 2021-2022
The Unit for Students with Special Educational Needs (USSEN) aims at creating an inclusive and supportive learning environment to enable those with such needs to complete their university education on equal footing.
- About the Programme
About the Inclusion Student Ambassador (ISA) Programme 2021-2022
The programme engages students who share our vision to cultivate an inclusive and welcoming campus. Inclusion Student Ambassador will take up the following roles:
- To promote awareness of students with SEN and support them.
- To suggest creative solutions enhancing the campus support to students with special educational needs.
- To serve the University community in promoting the awareness of inclusion, equality and diversity.
October 2021 – June 2022
- Studying full-time UGC-funded programmes
- Interested in learning issues related to inclusion, diversity and equal opportunity.
- Share and support the Unit’s mission and committed to cultivating campus inclusion.
- Eager to understand the needs and challenges faced by the diverse learners and passionate to serve them.
- Certificate of recognition
- Preferential arrangements without application fee of CCL bearing inclusive activities that are initiated by USSEN
- Opportunities to showcase your talents and creativity
- Deeper understanding, knowledge & experience about diverse learners, disability & equality
Caring Point Scheme
100 Caring Points
Participation in community service or inclusion, equality related activities - any local NGO or community activities, events, training sessions in promoting awareness of inclusion, equality, disability. To earn 100 Caring Points, you can
- be a sports helper assisting Paralympic athletes in a training exercise;
- be a guide walker/runner in a training exercise and running race;
- be an NGO volunteer during summertime;
200 Caring Points
Participation in experiential sessions and/or being one of our SEN buddies.
- Experiential sessions
- For example, you can participate in HKBU experiential inclusive workshops, seminars, training sessions, camping, etc. All sessions MUST be counted as Co-curricular Learning (CCL).
- SEN Buddy
- For example, you can be a note-taker, a guide walker, an amanuensis, a reading materials conversion assistant for registered students with SEN/disabilities.
500 Caring Points
- Initiate projects to promote SEN awareness, campus inclusion, etc.
- For example, you can run a sharing session on campus accessibility; develop a mobile application of campus location maps for students with visual impairment.
For ISAs who participated in any activities that were not held by USSEN but wish to claim Caring Points, please be reminded to send us the proof of documents, i.e. a certificate of achievement, an attendance record, and at least two activity photos of yourself to us at firstname.lastname@example.org before 30 June of an academic year.
If you are interested in being an Inclusion Student Ambassador (ISA) for 2021-2022, please click here to complete the online registration form.
Attending an introductory session is made mandatory for interested eligible students upon successful registration. A CCL recognition would be credited to eligible attendees who had completed the whole session. Please refer to details as follows:
Date : Tuesday, 28 September 2021
Time : 2:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Mode : Online via ZOOM
Language : English, supplementary by Hong Kong Sign Language (HKSL)
Registration : Log in to SLES and complete the online application form
The 2.5-hour introductory webinar aims to provide an overview of the Inclusion Student Ambassador Programme 2021-2022. We are very pleased to invite guest speakers from SLCO Community Resources Limited (SLCO-CR) and staff from the Unit for Students with Special Educational Needs to share professional experiences about supporting university students with disabilities/special educational needs (SEN). Topics include:
• Introducing different SEN types in the university settings;
• Equipping participants with useful conversational phrases and signs when interacting with Deaf people;
• Learning about the uniqueness of the Deaf community in terms of language and culture;
• Making good use of various communicative strategies when interacting with Deaf people;
• Busting some common misunderstandings regarding the Deaf community;
• Exploring HKBU support services to students with special educational needs; and
• Cultivating an inclusive and welcoming campus by getting to know the Inclusion Student Ambassador Programme 2021-2022
• Please note that by participating in the captioned briefing session, you will be admitted to the Inclusion Student Ambassador Programme 2021-2022. Please contact us on or before 30 September 2021 if you wish to withdraw from the programme.
- The workshop is fully funded by the UGC SEN special grants, thus the whole expenses of the workshop would be exempted.
- As the workshop is supported by UGC, quotas would be first given to current full-time students studying in UGC-funded programmes.
- Successful applicants would receive a confirmation email and the ZOOM link on or before 27 September 2021.
Participating in the Inclusion Student Ambassador Programme is a fruitful experience in my university life. Not only do I have a deeper understanding of different types of disability, but I also have valuable opportunities to make friends with SEN students, which have broadened my social circle. More to mention is the attractive activities and the Barrier-free Discovery Tour that I have participated in. I had a lot of fun and they are quite different from the usual university workshops that I used to have. Most of them were held by someone with disabilities, which broadened my horizons. If I were given a second chance in my university life, I would still join this programme without regrets!
- Chin Wing Ki, ISA 2017-2020【BSocSc (Hons) in Geography (2020)】
很高興在大學的生涯中可以成為校園共融大使 (ISA)。 在大學一年級時因為對點字和手語感到好奇， 所以與朋友成為了ISA。 記得參加的第一個活動就是無障行者， 這個活動使我筋疲力盡 ，但同時讓我深深體驗到身心障礙者的困難。
在接下來的幾年大學生涯中， 我參加了不同的活動來了解有特殊學習需要的同學， 包括學習手語， 報讀有關特殊教育的課程和參加台灣交流團。 在眾多活動中我最深刻的是台灣交流團。 這個活動除了讓我了解台灣對身心障礙學生的支援外，更讓我認識了許多新朋友。在幾天的交流中，我聽了很多他們的成長故事，明白到他們在生活，學習甚至社交上的困難。他們對學習的堅持真的讓我十分感動。 其實我認為身心障礙學生很厲害， 十分值得我們學習。 他們許多能力都比一般學生強勁，例如手指十分靈活, 觀察力非常強和毅力十分高。
是不是想認識他們呢？ 我希望在看文章的你能加入ISA 這個大家庭， 參加USSEN舉辦的活動 ，並一起建立無障礙和共融的浸大!
- 戴泳琪, 校園共融大使 2017-2020 【社會科學學士（榮譽）(地理) (2020)】
For any enquires, please contact us during office hours:
Tel : +852 3411 2806
Email : email@example.com
Address : Room DLB704A, Level 7, David C. Lam Building, Shaw Campus
Mondays to Fridays – 9:00am to 1:00pm and 2:00pm to 5:30pm
Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays – Closed