HKBU Alumni Gratitude Fund (AGF)
The Fund was set up with donations raised by the V-CARE Campaign in 2019. A group of HKBU alumni pledged a sum donation in support of students with special educational needs (SSEN). The Fund represents a way to show the alumni’s gratitude to their alma mater, an encouragement for the next generation of students to thrive in their own way.
Through providing financial assistance to SSEN for their study and learning, it is expected:
- to facilitate the SSEN’s adjustment and adaptation in the University
- to enhance the sense of belonging, support and care of SSEN
- Full-time HKBU students studying UGC funded degree or above level programmes, registered with special educational needs (i.e. physical disability, hearing impairment, visual impairment, speech and language impairment, visceral disability, specific learning disabilities, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, autism spectrum disorder, developmental coordination disorder, mental illness, and chronic medical illness, etc.);
- Procurement of assistive, technological learning aids and equipment for SSEN’s study;
- Acquisition of services, professional assessment, special medical, transportation intervention related to disability/SEN to support SSEN’s university learning;
- Retrospective applications will not be considered and funded normally. Special medical intervention related to disability may be considered with strong justifications;
- Only one successful application will be granted for a SSEN per academic year.
1. Applications will be assessed on the basis of the followings:
- Effectiveness and need on the use of the proposed items/services in facilitating the applicant’s learning;
- The impact on enhancing the applicant’s university life experience;
2. Preference will be given to eligible applicants who have never received any SEN related funding before.
Application Procedure and Timeline
Please refer to the flowchart below for the application procedures:
Submission of Part A: Confirmation of Eligibility
Applicants should first complete Part A to confirm their eligibility before proceeding to apply a fund for procurement of assistive, technological learning aids and equipment and/or acquisition of services, professional assessment, special medical, transportation intervention related to disability/SEN to support SSEN’s university learning (Part B).
- Eligible students should first fill in an online application form (Part A ) to confirm their eligibility. In addition to personal particulars, they need to state their reasons for application and provide an initial plan of using the fund for the proposed items/services.
- Applicants will be notified of their results of Part A normally within five working days by HKBU student email after the submission.
- Successful applicants of Part A will invite to complete Part B for funding applications for the proposed activity/project via HKBU student email.
Submission of Part B: Funding Application for Procurement of Items and/or Acquisition of Services
Applicants should have submitted “Part A: Confirmation of Eligibility” and received an approval email from USSEN before filling out Part B. Please complete and submit Part B prior to the procurement of items and/or acquisition of services by providing all support documents listed below:
- Supporting/information of the medical intervention/special transportation service related to the disability;
- At least one quotation for purchase at HKD12,000 or below; or at least two quotations for purchase up to HKD15,000; or at least three quotations for purchase up to HKD20,000 shall be provided along with all supporting documents. Applicant is required to provide an original or a photocopy of the certified copy of the price quotation.
Please click here for further information on a price quote template.
- For postgraduate students, a copy of the most recent medical or professional report which indicates the current level of disability is required.
- The application opens throughout the year.
- Applicants may be invited for a meeting to present their proposed items/services.
- Successful applicants will be notified of application results by email within five working weeks after submission of all required documents/meeting held and further information provided if any.
Maximum Fundable Amount
- Each applicant will be granted not more than HK$20,000 per academic year;
- Funding will be granted for one year at a time for each applicant;
- Discretion will be exercised to approve additional funds for items/services with strong justifications.
Number of Recipient
Up to 8 per year subject to the availability of the funding source.
- Payment of the Grant will be made on a reimbursement basis and claims should be supported by original receipts submitting to USSEN within two weeks of items procured/service acquired;
- The reimbursement will be made upon satisfactory acceptance of final auditing on all required documents;
- Successful applicants must hold valid HKBU full-time studentship at the time of reimbursement, otherwise no approved grant will be reimbursed.
- The SA reserves the final rights on the decisions of subsidy allocation and guidelines amendment at any time as appropriate;
- Successful applicants are required to submit a sharing article, 3 photos, and a completed evaluation survey to USSEN within two months upon receipt of the assistive aids/services.
For any enquires, please contact Miss Gloria Yu of the Unit for Students with Special Educational Needs, Counseling and Development Centre, Office of Student Affairs:
Tel : +852 3411 5230
Email : email@example.com
Address : Room DLB704A, Level 7, David C. Lam Building, Shaw Campus
Mondays to Fridays – 9:00am to 1:00pm and 2:00pm to 5:30pm
Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays – Closed