HKBU Backpacker Learning 2021-22
About “HKBU Backpacker Learning 2021-22”
In the past two years, many international exchange and global exposure have plunged dramatically due to the pandemic. HKBU Backpacker Learning Programme aims to support student-initiated outbound projects for learning, flourishing, and serving the community by offering suitable amount of sponsorship.
Why should we join this programme?
- Develop students’ global perspective and awareness of international affairs
- Foster students’ caring spirit for the community
- Enrich students with meaningful exposure and experience
- Enhance students’ qualities and skills
- Full-time undergraduate students studying in UGC-funded programmes
- Have not been awarded with scholarship under Mainland and Overseas Expedition Fund (MOEF) or International Fund (Intl-F) before
- 2-4 students
Application and Selection Procedure
- Submit completed application form with a PowerPoint in no more than 12 slides covering project objectives, features, itinerary, budget plan, risk management, overseas partners, and applicants’ particulars
- Shortlisted teams will be invited to attend a screening interview
- Social values & impacts to communities
- Learning elements
- Presentation Skills
- Efficient use of budget
- Added value to HKBU
Winning team will be awarded a proportion (30% to 50%) of their proposed budget or total expenses, whichever is lower. The maximum award per person will be $10,000.
Programme Timeline (1st Round)
Programme Timeline (2nd Round)
Leadership Qualities Centre, Office of Student Affairs
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. I am a SCE/CIE student. Can I join?
A: No, only UGC-funded full-time undergraduates are eligible to apply for this programme.
2. I am a postgraduate student and I am interested in this programme. Am I eligible to apply for this programme?
A: No, this programme only targets at undergraduates.
3. I am a final year undergraduate student. Can I apply for the programme as well?
A: Sure, all final year undergraduates are welcome to take part but have to depart on or before 31 July 2022.
4. Can I team up with my friend (also an undergraduate student) from other university?
A: The programme only targets at HKBU undergraduates who are studying in UGC-funded programmes. Students from other tertiary institutions are NOT eligible to take part. Therefore, you should form your team with only HKBU undergraduates.
5. I cannot find a teammate. Is it possible for me to apply individually?
A: To ensure students’ safety while having merriment and rewarding experiences during the programme, the Office only accepts teams of 2 to 4 members. Individual applicants would not be entertained.
6. I want to join this programme. However, I am not sure whether I have been awarded with any sponsorship under Mainland and Overseas Expedition Fund (MOEF) or International Fund (Intl-F) before. What should I do?
A: You can email us to check if you are qualified to join the programme. Even if you received the sponsorship before, you can still apply for the programme together with your friends, but sponsorship will not be granted to you.
7. My teammates and I are busy with the assignments and part-time job. Can we submit the proposal later?
A: Interested students must submit the application form together with the proposal (in PowerPoint format). Please note that incomplete application will not be processed.
8. There are a lot of things that we wish to include in the proposal and present to the judges. Is it possible if we submit a proposal more than 12 slides?
A: No, the Office only accepts the proposal in NO MORE THAN 12 slides. In order to be fair to every participating team, applicants are advised to refine and reduce the number of pages, or else the Office and judges will only read the first 12 slides of the proposal.
9. What is the format of the selection interview?
A: During the selection interview, team(s) are required to present their proposal to the panel, followed by a Q&A session. More details will be sent to the shortlisted team(s).
10. Is there any insurance provided by the University?
A: Yes. All HKBU students who participate in overseas study trip organized or recognized by the University will be automatically enrolled in a Group Travel Insurance with a coverage of up to 185 days. Yet, the insurance does not cover any personal trips before &/or after the overseas study trips organized or recognized by the University (For details, please visit the website of Finance Office). Participant could purchase separate insurance plan if he/she need extra protection.
11. In view of the development of COVID-19, quarantine may be required when arriving the proposed destination and/or returning to Hong Kong. Will there be any subsidies provided?
A: No, all expenses during the quarantine period will NOT be included in the calculation of sponsorship and/or total expenses.