Improving Your Cultural Intelligence
Cultural Intelligence is a person's ability to relate and work with people from culturally diverse backgrounds. People with similarity in ideas, beliefs and behaviours make up a given culture. Cultures are formed in small groups, large groups or populations. We are living in an increasingly diverse society which is only going to get more diverse. Cultural Intelligence is an absolute essential skill for progress and success in the future ahead of us.
The following topics will be covered.
- What is a culture? What role culture plays in the way people interact?
- What is the role culture plays in shaping our values, beliefs and behaviours?
- What strategies can be used to mingle and work with diverse cultures?
In the programme, students can
- reflect on their own culturally conditioned values and behavioural preferences and how those influence their interactions with others
- develop an awareness of the challenges and opportunities presented by culturally diverse settings
- understand the role of culture in personal and professional life
- develop an awareness about the cultural diversity in Hong Kong
Dr. Nimisha Vandan,
Executive Director and Co-founder OKAYMINDS,
Former Post-Doctoral Fellow of the School of Public Health, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong
During PhD, her research focus was on understanding the effect of culture on patients’ access to healthcare, their experience with healthcare system, cultural competency of healthcare professionals and mental health of ethnic minorities. She is passionate about intercultural care and recently got certificate in “Intercultural communication”. She did her Masters in International Health from The University of Tokyo, Japan and Bachelors in Pharmacy from India.
This programme is divided in two parts.
CCL Online Seminar: Improving Your Cultural Intelligence
At the end of the seminar, students will be able to:
- Learn the cultural theories
- Understand the role of culture in personal and professional life
- Learn the ways to improve cultural intelligence
Date: 24 September 2021 (Friday)
Medium of instruction: English
Registration period: 6-19 September 2021
Registration method: Login SLES
(Details of the following visit is subject to be changed based on the latest development of pandemic)
Experiential Learning Tour: Hindu Temple in Happy Valley (CCL)
(The seminar " Improving Your Cultural Intelligence " on 24 September 2021 is a prerequisite of joining this tour.)
At the end of the tour, students will be able to:
- Have a better perspective of Hinduism and its influence on the culture
- Experience the eating culture of Hinduism
- Experience the hymns & prayer culture, etc
Get familiar with the kind of ethnic dress common in South Asian culture
Date: 8 October 2021 (Friday)
Medium of instruction: English
About Hindu Temple in Happy Valley: http://www.hinduassociationhk.com/
Remarks: Students who completed the seminar “Improving Your Cultural Intelligence” will be notified on the registration arrangement 2 weeks before the tour.