Innovation and Technology Scholarship (創新科技獎學金) 2023 (Deadline: 17 January 2023)
Jointly sponsored and supported by the Innovation and Technology Commission and HSBC, the Innovation and Technology Scholarship was established to provide outstanding undergraduates of Hong Kong the opportunities to widen their international exposure, gaining industry experience, and nurture their passion and commitment toward science and technology.
Twenty-five science undergraduates, to be nominated by the Presidents / Vice-Chancellors of local universities and selected by an Awardee Selection Committee, will each be awarded a scholarship of up to HKD150,000 for a series of learning programmes, including a) one or more Overseas / Mainland Attachment Programme between 1 June 2023 and 31 July 2024 (at least one of the trips must be longer than three weeks and at least one trip should be arranged to the Mainland); b) Mentorship Programme; c) Service Project Programme and d) Local Internship Programme (optional). For 2023, HKBU will nominate up to 3 students to compete for the Scholarship.
About the Scholarship
- Please click here for the information sheet of the Scholarship or the scholarship website: https://innotechscholarship.hkfyg.org.hk/en/application-2-2/ for more details.
- Please click here for the list of suggested overseas/mainland universities.
The Scholarship is open to full-time non-final year undergraduates who meet the following criteria:
1. Hong Kong Permanent Resident with the right of abode in Hong Kong;
2. Undertaking a science-related bachelor degree funded by the University Grants Committee (UGC) – including (i) Sciences; (ii) Engineering & Technology; and (iii) Medicine & Health professions. Please click here for the eligible programmes at HKBU;
3. Preferably have a cumulative GPA of 3.30 or above (students with cGPA 3.0 or above may also apply);
4. Achieved a satisfactory result from any one of the English tests below:
- TOEFL# (Internet-based test)
- Minimum overall score: 90
- Scores for individual sections not lower than:
- Reading: 21 - Speaking: 21
- Listening: 22 - Writing: 17
- IELTS# (Academic Module)
- Overall band score: 6.5 or above
- Individual component scores not lower than:
- Speaking: 6 - Reading: 6
- Listening: 6 - Writing: 6
- HKDSE English Language Exam
- Level 4 or above
- International Baccalaureate (IB) Exam
- English A Language and Literature Standard Level: Grade 5 or above
- English A Language and Literature High Level: Grade 5 or above
- English B Standard Level: Grade 6 or above
- English B High Level: Grade 5 or above
- International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) Exam
- IGCSE English as a Second Language 0511: Grade C
- IGCSE First Language English 0522: Grade D
These are irrespective of overseas universities’ requirements.
#Test must be taken on or since 6th February 2021.
5. Have passion in innovation and technology, and intention of pursuing this as a career;
6. Well-rounded, have participated in extra-curricular and/or community service activities;
7. be able to display tremendous upside potential and benefit the most from the Scholarship;
8. be willing to serve the community and have a strong commitment to Hong Kong;
9. Possesses good communication skills; and
10. Have not previously received this Scholarship.
HKBU applicants should complete an online application at https://www.jotform.me/92998336722471 on or before the application deadline 17 January 2023 (Tuesday).
An auto-email will be sent to the applicant upon successful form submission. If no auto-email is received within 15 minutes, your form submission may be unsuccessful and you should inform SFA immediately.
All applications will be assessed by an internal selection panel and up to 3 students will be nominated. Shortlisted nominees will be invited to attend an interview by the Awardee Selection Committee. Details will be sent to nominees through their respective universities in March or April 2023. The interview is mandatory. The selection results will be announced in April 2023.
Faculty members are welcome to encourage eligible students to apply.
Scholarships & Financial Aid Unit
Office of Student Affairs
Hong Kong Baptist University
Room WLB401, Level 4,
The Wing Lung Bank Building for Business Studies, Shaw Campus
Telephone: 3411 2311