HSBC Overseas Scholarship 2020/21 (Deadline Extended to 21 February 2020)
HSBC has a long history of supporting educational activities and nurturing young people for the betterment of the community. For the 2020/21 academic year, HSBC is offering HSBC Overseas Scholarship, at a maximum total value of up to HK$1,200,000 with a maximum amount of HK$300,000 per scholarship, to local full-time undergraduate students in Hong Kong. The scholarship will support the recipients to study at an overseas university (some recommended universities can be found here) for either one semester or one academic year, and return to our University to complete their studies and graduate. Hong Kong Baptist University will nominate two eligible candidates to compete with students from other universities in Hong Kong for the Scholarships.
Each scholarship will cover (1) tuition fees (2) a minimum economy return airfare, and (3) reasonable room and board costs, books, a small portion of living expenses and visa application fees. However, it will not cover insurance, clothing expenses and other incidentals. For more details, please click here.
Application is now open to non-final year full-time undergraduate students who are enrolled in a UGC-funded degree programme, and who:
(1) are Hong Kong permanent residents with right of abode in Hong Kong (full disclosure regarding citizenship is required);
(2) are pursuing studies in disciplines under architecture, business and economics, communication, computer science/information systems, construction and land use, dentistry, design, education, engineering, health care, hotel and tourism, law, medicine, science (basic and applied), social sciences, humanities, textiles, arts subjects (linguistics and languages, translation, history, geography, fine arts and applied arts, etc.), energy and environment, Asian and International Studies, and creative media (UGC-funded programmes only). Students are allowed the flexibility to major in a different discipline while abroad;
(3) have attained a cumulative GPA score of 3.70 or above (or first-class honours, or top 3% of class) in the first semester of the academic year 2019/2020;
(Although students may not know whether they belong to the top 3% of their class, they should submit their application first, and the Office of Student Affairs will verify whether an applicant is eligible to compete for the Scholarship, i.e., whether he/she belongs to the top 3% group, after the application closes.)
(4) have a minimum total TOEFL score of 90 (Internet-based test) with scores for individual sections not lower than 22 on listening, 17 on writing, 21 on reading, and 21 on speaking; or a minimum IELTS overall band score of 6.5, with no component below 6.0. These requirements are irrespective of the admission requirements of the intended overseas universities. Please note that the English proficiency tests must have been taken on 16 February 2018 or later. If unavailable by the application deadline below, test results can be submitted to the Office of Student Affairs on or before 28 February 2020 (Friday);
(5) are well-rounded, participating in extra-curricular and/or community service activities;
(6) have no extensive experience of living or studying overseas;
(7) are strongly committed to Hong Kong
Priority will be given to students who are in a financial situation which does not permit overseas study or extensive overseas travel; and who enroll in an overseas study course with no financial support from HKBU or other sources. Scholarship recipients are expected to return to their home universities in Hong Kong after their overseas study to complete their degree in Hong Kong; otherwise, they have to reimburse the full cost of scholarship.
Please click here to download the application form. Completed application form together with a recommendation letter and copies of required supporting documents (including TOEFL/IELTS results, certificates/proofs for participation in extra-curricular activities, community services, scholarships and awards) should be submitted to us by email. To safeguard your private information, please encrypt the documents or upload the documents to google drive and send the link to us via email firstname.lastname@example.org at or before 5:30pm on 21 February 2020 (Friday).
Note: This is the second round application for this scholarship. Students who have submitted application in the first round do NOT need to apply again.
Copies of certificates, records on SLES, student development portfolio, letters, name cards, emails, magazines, webpages, newspaper clippings and/or other documents that have (1) your name, (2) the position held and (3) the organization name can be used as the supporting documents for your activities/services. However, please highlight the relevant information. Note that activities/services listed on the form but without proofs will NOT be counted.
Partial submissions / late applications will NOT be considered. Also, application form with e-signature or signature not signed by applicant, and scanned or photocopy of application form will NOT be considered.
Please click here for general tips on completing scholarship application forms.
Faculty members are welcome to nominate eligible students to apply.
SELECTION AND AWARD CRITERIA
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend an internal selection interview in early March 2020. Nominated student may be required to attend a panel interview arranged by HSBC in March/April 2020 (It is a "MUST" to attend the interview in Hong Kong). However, there is no guarantee that all or any of the candidate(s) nominated will be invited to the interview or will receive an award.
Note: Students who cannot attend the internal selection interview and/or the panel interview arranged by HSBC due to exchange/ placement/ internship should NOT apply.
Conditional offers will be made in April 2020 by HSBC to candidates who completely fulfil the selection criteria, are recommended by HKBU and short-listed by the HSBC panel. Confirmation of the scholarship awards will be made, subject to the receipt of the following documents: formal official admission letter from the overseas university, an application form to participate in the Hong Kong Young Ambassador Scheme (HKYAS) or alternate programmes similar to HKYAS with prior written approval from HSBC before departure from Hong Kong, a letter from HKBU confirming the number of credits that the applicant will take during his/her semester or year abroad (this submitted figure should be regarded as final; costs of any additional credits taken during the academic year will not be covered), evidence from the overseas university outlining the duration of the academic year and information on the number of courses/credits that a visiting or full-time overseas student should take, and a completed pro-forma summary sheet providing a final cost breakdown that is reviewed by the university.
Please refer to http://yas.hkfyg.org.hk/ for more information about HKYAS.
For enquiries, please feel free to contact Ms. Joey Lau at 3411 7225 or by email to email@example.com.