HSBC Hong Kong Scholarship 2023-24 (Deadline: 26 January 2024)
HSBC has a long history of supporting educational activities and nurturing young people for the betterment of the community. For the 2023-24 academic year, HSBC is offering HSBC Hong Kong Scholarship, at HK$50,000 each, to six HKBU local full-time undergraduate students. Up to nine eligible candidates will be nominated for final selection by HSBC.
Online information session
Interested applicants are strongly recommended to join the online information session on 30 November (Thursday) 5-6pm. Please click here for the details of the information session.
Application is now open to local full-time undergraduate students who are enrolled in UGC-funded degree programmes of any disciplines, and who:
(1) are Hong Kong permanent residents with right of abode in Hong Kong;
(2) have attained a cumulative GPA score of 3.70 or above (or top 3% of class, or met HKBU’s standard for first class honours) in the first semester of the academic year 2023-24;
(Note that students who are top 3% of their class may also be considered. Although students may not know whether they belong to the top 3% of their class, they should submit their application first, and the Office of Student Affairs will verify whether an applicant is eligible to compete for the Scholarship, i.e., whether he/she belongs to the top 3% group, after the application closes.)
(3) must demonstrate strong financial needs (priority will be given to students from a financially disadvantaged background);
(4) are well-rounded, participating in extra-curricular and/or community service activities; and
(5) are committed to Hong Kong
Students who were awarded the HSBC Hong Kong Scholarship before will not be considered and thus should NOT apply.
** According to the guidelines established by the Undergraduate Scholarship Committee, in order to allow more outstanding students to gain awards and recognition of their achievements, it is recommended that the maximum amount of scholarship a student can receive each year is HK$50,000. Hence, higher priority will be given to students who have not received a total scholarship amount of more than HK$50,000 in the 2023-24 academic year.
Please click here to download the application form. The form is fillable. Please type in the form.
The Office of Student Affairs will certify your eligibility in the very last section of the application form. Please leave that section blank (i.e., Do NOT ask your faculty/department staff to fill in that part).
- Save your completed application form and add PDF attachments of your transcript (student copy), personal essay and recommendation letter as instructed on the application form. Scan all the required supporting documents (i.e., certificate/proof of extra-curricular activities/community services/achievements, etc.). Combine your application form and scanned supporting documents as ONE (1) PDF file.
- Name your PDF file in the format of "HSBC HK_student ID_full name" (e.g. HSBC HK_20221111_Chan Tai Man). We may not be able to identify your submission if you do not name your file as instructed.
- Make sure the scans of your documents are clear and legible. Any parts that are missing, unclear, and incomprehensible will NOT be considered.
- Try to keep your pdf file under 25MB. You may not need to scan the documents in the highest/top quality if standard quality suffice. Your PDF file should NOT exceed 25MB.
- Login to our “Documents Upload Platform” at https://sfa.hkbu.edu.hk/supporting_docs/ with your SSOid. Choose and click “HSBC Hong Kong Scholarship” in the menu to upload the documents. We will NOT be able to receive your documents if you choose another scheme, so please click the scheme name carefully. The “Documents Upload Platform” will close automatically at the application deadline 11:59pm of 26 January 2024 (Friday). You will receive an auto-email from the system upon successful upload of your PDF file.
- To avoid being late, you should upload your PDF well before the deadline, as there may be unexpected technical errors/difficulties that require you extra time to solve. Note that the submission time is subject to our system’s clock on the website, which may or may not be the same as your watch, and the Office of Student Affairs has the discretion to make final judgments on whether the application is considered late.
You may print out/scan your SLES record (https://sles.hkbu.edu.hk/) as supporting proofs for HKBU internal activities/ service/ scholarships. Copies of certificates, letters, name cards, emails, magazines, webpages, newspaper clippings and/or other documents that have (1) your name, (2) the position held and (3) the organization name can be used as the supporting documents for your activities/ services if they do not appear on your SLES record. However, please highlight the relevant information on the documents for easy identification.
Partial submissions/late applications will NOT be considered. You should ONLY attach relevant supporting documents with your application form. Form submission via hardcopy or email is not accepted.
After internal paper vetting, shortlisted students may be invited to attend an internal selection interview by mid-February 2024. Up to 9 candidates will be recommended to HSBC for their final panel interview between March and April 2024. The selection result will be announced by June 2024.
Students who cannot attend the internal selection interview and/or the panel interview arranged by HSBC due to exchange/ placement/ internship should NOT apply.
- Please click here for general tips on completing scholarship application forms.
- Faculty members are welcome to nominate eligible students to apply.
For enquiries, please feel free to contact us at 3411 2311 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.