HKSAR Government Talent Development Scholarship (TDS) 2021/22 (Deadline: 14 January 2022)
In order to encourage students to develop their talents in other areas in addition to their academic study, the Talent Development Scholarship (TDS) was established by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Government to give recognition to students who have demonstrated achievement or talent in non-academic areas and provide support for them to further develop their talent and potential.
For 2021/22, up to 150 Talent Development Scholarship awards at HK$10,000 each will be awarded to current full-time local and non-local undergraduate students studying in any discipline (UGC-funded programmes only). Awardees should have demonstrated talent or potential in at least one of the following category of talents:
- (i) Sports and games;
- (ii) Music and performing arts;
- (iii) Culture, arts and design; or
- (iv) Innovation, science and technology
To be eligible for the TDS, applicants should have attained a cGPA of 2.50 or above after the first semester of 2021/22. Applicants are not required to indicate their cGPA in the application form. SFA Unit will check it out after the closing date. In addition, applicants should possess demonstrated achievements during the period from 1 January 2018 to present in any of the areas mentioned above and continuously striving for improvement and excellence, and should at least –
- (a) receive an award in national or regional competitions / performances; or represent institution or relevant association in such competitions / performances and have good recommendation / assessment by the institution or relevant organization on the capability or talent; or
- (b) receive an award (except commendable award in recognition of participation) in local/ inter-school/ inter-institution competitions.
It is important to note that some activities alone only serve as evidence of active participation and striving for improvement and excellence in a certain non-academic talent. Students who only participate in these activities should NOT be awarded TDS. These activities include:
- (a) Being a team member/committee member of a school team/ club/ society
- (b) Intra-school/ intra-institution activities
- (c) Work-related activities (e.g. internship/ helpers or workers of an event etc.)
- (d) Examinations on musical instruments
- (e) Language proficiency tests (e.g. IELTS, TOEFL etc.)
A student may be awarded the TDS more than once throughout his/her studies of the relevant programme, and each nomination will be considered based on individual merits. Therefore, students who were awarded the TDS before must be able to provide new evidence of award(s) and achievement(s) attained after receiving the previous TDS award. However, due to limited quota and keen competition, priority will be given to students who have never received TDS during their studies at HKBU.
The online application form can be accessed via the following link until 5:30pm of 14 January 2022:
Applicants are obliged to examine if their activities/achievements are already on the below lists of approved activities for TDS which have been approved by the HKSAR Education Bureau (EDB), and input the corresponding Reference Code in their online application form. If the activity/achievement is not on the lists, applicant needs to provide the website and details of the activity/achievement for EDB's consideration. Note that having an approved activity/achievement does not guarantee the award of TDS as competition is required for the limited awards. Level/scale of activity and award/achievement obtained will be considered in the award allocation, while an appropriate balance will be maintained in allocating the awards among the four categories of talents.
- Approved Activities for TDS: Sports and games
- Approved Activities for TDS: Music and performing arts
- Approved Activities for TDS: Culture, arts and design
- Approved Activities for TDS: Innovation, science and technology
After submitting the online application, please follow the instructions below:
- Print out the completed application form.
- Hand-sign and scan your completed application form and all your supporting documents. Combine your application form and scanned supporting documents as ONE (1) PDF file.
- Name your PDF file, in the format of "HKSAR TDS_student ID_full name" (e.g. HKSAR TDS_20201111_Chan Tai Man). We may not be able to identify your submission if you do not name your file as instructed.
- Please make sure the scans of your documents are clear and legible. Any parts that are missing, unclear, and incomprehensible will NOT be considered.
- Please try to keep your pdf file under 25MB. You may not need to scan the documents in the highest/top quality if standard quality suffice. Your PDF file should NOT exceed 25MB.
- Login to our “Documents Upload Platform” at https://sfa.hkbu.edu.hk/supporting_docs/ with your SSOid. Choose and click “HKSAR Talent Development Scholarship (TDS)” in the menu to upload the documents. We will NOT be able to receive your documents if you choose another scheme, so please click the scheme name carefully. The “Documents Upload Platform” will close automatically at the application deadline 5:30pm of 14 January 2022 (Friday). You will receive an auto-email from the system upon successful upload of your PDF file.
- To avoid being late, you should upload your PDF well before the deadline, as there may be unexpected technical errors/difficulties that require you extra time to solve. Note that the submission time is subject to our system’s clock on the website, which may or may not be the same as your watch, and the Office of Student Affairs has the discretion to make final judgments on whether the application is considered late
Online application without the submission of scanned application form and supporting documents will NOT be considered. Submission by email/fax/hardcopy, partial or late submission will NOT be accepted.
All applications will be assessed by an internal selection panel. The selection results will be announced in May/June 2022 upon EDB's approval.
Please click here for general tips on completing scholarship application forms.
Faculty members are welcome to encourage eligible students to apply.
For enquiries, please feel free to contact us at 3411 2311 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.