HKSAR Government Reaching Out Award (ROA) 2023-24 (Deadline: 5:30pm, 26 April 2024)
The Reaching Out Award (ROA) was established by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Government to equip students with an international vision, broaden their exposure to multicultural environments and enhance their communication skills.
For 2023-24, awards of HK$10,000 each will be offered to full-time students currently studying in any UGC-funded undergraduate degree programmes at HKBU (but exclude exchange students not studying a full degree or above programme in Hong Kong), who:
(a) participate in an event/competition (e.g. conferences, forums, workshops, training camps, competitions, service projects etc.), partake in an internship or a placement, take part in a field/study trip or attend a course (e.g. foreign language immersion programmes, academic exchange programmes etc.), which is conducted outside Hong Kong in the 2023-24 academic year (i.e. 1 September 2023 to 31 August 2024). Virtual/online activities are NOT eligible.
- The outreaching activity should be organized or endorsed by a HKBU Department or Office.
- Activities with other sources of financial support and paid internship will be considered at a lower priority.
(b) Awardees should achieve good academic attainment. A cumulative GPA of 3.00 or above after the first semester of 2023-24 is required.
- Priority will be given to local students.
- A student will only be awarded the ROA once throughout his/her studies of the relevant programme. Previous awardees should not apply.
- A student should NOT be awarded the Talent Development Scholarship (TDS) and ROA concurrently in the same academic year through participating in the same programme.
- As advised by the HKSAR Education Bureau, recipients of Scholarship for Prospective English Teachers are not eligible to apply for ROA. In addition, students enrolled in Dual/Joint Bachelor’s Degree Programmes are NOT eligible for receiving any government scholarships including ROA during the period of their offshore studies in the overseas partner institutions.
The online application form can be accessed via this link: https://sa.hkbu.edu.hk/portal/sfa/roaapp/
Each student can submit only ONE application with one outreaching programme. Change of programme after form submission is normally NOT allowed. Applicant’s admission to the outreaching programme must be confirmed before 26 April 2024, the application deadline. The online application platform will be closed automatically at 5:30pm, 26 April 2024 (Friday). Applicants should submit the online form before the closing time. Late or hard copy submission of the application form will NOT be considered.
The award allocation is mainly based on the students' cGPA and the net cost borne/to be borne by students in the outreaching programmes. Due to keen competition and limited number of awards, it is not guaranteed that applicant will be awarded even if he/she has fulfilled the above-mentioned eligibility. The selection results will be announced by late June 2024.
Awardees are required to submit at least 3 personal photos and a reflection report on the activities participated and the learning experiences and benefits acquired in the form of essay of at least 2,000 words for English or 1,000 words for Chinese to HKBU upon completion of the outreaching programmes. Applicants will be informed of the details and submission deadline if they are awarded.
Faculty members are welcome to encourage eligible students to apply.
For enquiries, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com or 3411 2311.