HKSAR Government Reaching Out Award 2019/20 (Deadline: 29 April 2020)
The Reaching Out Award (ROA) was established by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Government to equip students with an international vision, broaden their exposure to multicultural environment and enhance their communication skills.
For 2019/20, up to 148 Reaching out Awards at HK$10,000 each will be awarded to current full-time local and non-local undergraduate students studying in any discipline (UGC-funded programmes only) at HKBU who:
- (a) participate in an event/competition (e.g. conferences, workshops, training camps, competitions, service projects etc.), partake in an internship or a placement, take part in a field/study trip or attend a course, which is conducted outside Hong Kong, Macao and Mainland China in the 2019/20 academic year (i.e. 1 September 2019 to 31 August 2020).
- The outreaching activity should NOT be course-required or graduation-tied.
- The outreaching activity should be organized or endorsed by a HKBU Department or Office.
- The duration of activity should normally not exceed 3 months. Semester or full year exchange programmes are not eligible for ROA.
- Please click here to see the list of recommended programmes for ROA in 2019/20. Students joining programmes not on the recommended list can still apply but will be considered at a lower priority.
- Programmes with other sources of financial support and paid internship will be considered at a lower priority.
- (b) have attained a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or above after the first semester of 2019/20.
Local students will be given a higher priority. A student will only be awarded the ROA once throughout his/her studies of the relevant programme. In addition, a student should NOT be awarded the Talent Development Scholarship (TDS) and ROA concurrently in the same academic year through participating in the same programme.
As advised by the EDB, recipients of Scholarship for Prospective English Teachers are not eligible to apply for ROA.
Awardees are required to submit 2 personal photos and a reflection report on the activities participated and the learning experiences and benefits acquired in the form of essay of at least 2,000 words for English or 1,000 words for Chinese to HKBU within 1 month upon completion of the outreaching programmes. Applicants will be informed of the details if they are awarded.
The online application form can be accessed via the following link:
Each student can submit only ONE application with one outreaching programme. Change of programme after form submission is normally not allowed. Applicant’s admission to the outreaching programme must be confirmed before 29 April 2020, the application deadline. The online application platform will be closed automatically at 5:30pm of 29 April 2020 (Wednesday). Applicants should submit the online form before the closing time. It is NOT necessary to submit the printed form to the Office of Student Affairs.
Due to very keen competition and limited number of awards, it is not guaranteed that applicant will be awarded even if he/she has fulfilled the above-mentioned eligibility. All applications will be assessed by an internal selection panel based on this scoring scheme: 60% on the programme organizer and category; destination and duration of the outreaching programme; net cost paid and other funding sources received by or available to the applicant; 40% on the applicant's academic result, year of study, and origin (local or non-local); while an appropriate balance will be maintained in allocating the awards among different categories of outreaching programmes. The selection results will be announced by late June 2020.
For enquiries, please feel free to contact us at 3411 2307 or by email to email@example.com.