Hong Kong Association of University Women (HKAUW) Postgraduate and Undergraduate Scholarships 2019/20 (Deadline: 11 Oct 2019)
HKAUW Postgraduate Scholarships aim at recognising and encouraging female postgraduates who conduct high quality original research that are of significant value to our society and to the body of knowledge. Successful candidates should also demonstrate leadership in team work, achievements in their chosen disciplines through research and practice, and involvement in community service. Each HKAUW Postgraduate Scholarship recipient will receive a Certificate of Award and HK$20,000. Hong Kong Baptist University will nominate five postgraduate students for HKAUW's consideration and selection.
HKAUW Undergraduate Scholarships aim at recognising and encouraging female students with exceptional academic attainments and active involvement in community service. Each HKAUW Undergraduate Scholarship recipient will receive a Certificate of Award and HK$5,000. Hong Kong Baptist University will nominate two undergraduate students for HKAUW's consideration and selection.
(a) The applicant for the Postgraduate Scholarship:-
- Must be a full member of the HKAUW (please apply for membership after being nominated);
- Must be currently registered as a full-time female student (including both research and taught-based postgraduate programmes) in a local postgraduate degree-granting tertiary institution (designation determined by the HKAUW);
- Has outstanding academic achievements, personal aspirations and qualities;
- Demonstrates leadership and active involvement in community service, has contributions in her chosen disciplines, including a global outlook and the promotion of women's status;
- Has recommendations from her supervisor, endorsed by the head of department or faculty/school in which she is currently registered;
- Has recommendations from the community/voluntary service organization she is involved in; and
- Is required to complete a minimum of 40 hours of quality community service within six months of receiving the scholarship. Such service projects must be mutually agreed on by the scholarship recipients and HKAUW in advance.
For more details regarding the Postgraduate Scholarship, please click here.
(b) The applicant for the Undergraduate Scholarship:-
- Must be currently registered as a full-time female student (except first and final year students) at a local degree-granting tertiary institution (designation determined by the HKAUW);
- Must be an undergraduate member of HKAUW (please apply for membership after being nominated);
- Must be nominated by the head of department or faculty/school in which she is currently registered (a separate nomination letter is required if the head of department/faculty/school is NOT writing one of the recommendation letters as specified below);
- Has outstanding academic achievements;
- Demonstrates current participation and involvement in community service;
- Has TWO recommendation letters, one from her head of department/faculty/school or current academic supervisor and one from the community/voluntary service organization she is involved in; and
- Is required to serve the community for at least half a year AFTER the recipient receives the scholarship which may include participating in community services project organized by HKAUW.
For more details regarding the Undergraduate Scholarship, please click here.
Please click here for the application document. ***Note that the deadline 23 Oct 2019 stated on the application form is the deadline for institution's nomination. Applicants must submit their applications to the Office of Student Affairs at or before the internal deadline, 5:30pm on 11 October 2019 (Friday).
Please note that nominees of the Postgraduate Scholarships have to be Full members of HKAUW (HK$300/year) and nominees of the Undergraduate Scholarships have to be Undergraduate Members of HKAUW (HK$150/year).
Hard copies of the completed application forms (including only relevant information), together with letters of recommendation and required documents must be received by the Office of Student Affairs, WLB 401 (Rm 401, Level 4, The Wing Lung Bank Building for Business Studies), Shaw Campus, at or before 5:30pm on 11 October 2019 (Friday). The Office of Student Affairs will then nominate students after internal paper vetting. The nominated students will be notified by the Office of Student Affairs via email and are required to complete the membership application and provide the proof of membership fee payment to us on or before October 16, 2019 (Wednesday). Therefore, for the "Declaration by the Applicant" part of the application form, please do not put a tick on the boxes regarding the membership application and fee payment. The nominees will tick the boxes when they submit the proof of membership fee payment on or before October 16, 2019 (Wednesday).
In the event of unforeseeable circumstances, such as extreme weather, that resulted in the sudden closure of SFA Counter on the day of the deadline, SFA will extend the deadline of application to 5:30pm of the following working day.
Late applications will NOT be considered.
For your information, shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend the final interview organized by HKAUW which is scheduled to be held on 23 November 2019 (Saturday) in Hong Kong (If you are not able to attend the interview in Hong Kong, please do not apply).
All Scholarship recipients will be notified directly by HKAUW. Applicants who are not notified by mid-December 2019 should consider their applications unsuccessful. Certificates and cheques will be awarded at the HKAUW Scholarship Presentation Ceremony cum Christmas Tea Buffet on 14 December 2019 (Saturday). Postgraduate Scholarship recipients, if invited, are required to make a short presentation of their research topic. Absence from the HKAUW Scholarship Presentation Ceremony cum Christmas Tea Buffet will mean forfeiture of the scholarship.
Note that both Postgraduate Scholarships and Undergraduate Scholarships require open competition with students from other institutions. The award for HKBU students is not guaranteed. Besides, paid membership fee will not be refunded regardless of whether the scholarship application is successful or not.
Please click here for general tips on completing scholarship application forms.
Faculty members are welcome to nominate eligible students to apply.
For enquiries, please feel free to contact us at 3411 2307 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org