AIA Scholarships 2021/22 (Deadline: 5:30pm of 21 January 2022)
AIA Foundation offers scholarships to local Year 1 students who are studying at Hong Kong universities every year. For academic year 2021/22, there are 8 awards for HKBU students. Up to 16 eligible candidates will be nominated for final selection by AIA Foundation.
The AIA Scholarship is designed to finance an awardee’s tuition fees. The value of each AIA Scholarship will be HK$50,000 per annum, payable each year during the awardee’s undergraduate programme. It is anticipated that most applicants will be undertaking a four year undergraduate programme. However, subject to the Foundation’s absolute discretion, students nominated by the University who are enrolled in 5 or 6 year undergraduate programmes will be entitled to receive an AIA Scholarship for each year of their nominated undergraduate programme (subject to satisfaction of the Scholarship Renewal Criteria).
ELIGIBILITY AND AWARD CRITERIA
Application is now open to full-time Year 1 undergraduate students who are enrolled in a UGC-funded degree programme, and who:
- have the right of abode or the right to land, or have entered the Hong Kong on One-way Permits;
- have resided in the Hong Kong continuously for at least Three complete years immediately prior to the commencement of their undergraduate programme
- have received their senior secondary education in Hong Kong, including those who have studied local (e.g. Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education) and non-local (e.g. International Baccalaureate) curricula
- Are pursuing their first undergraduate degree immediately succeeding completion of their senior secondary school education
- demonstrate excellent academic performance with a minimum GPA of 3.00 in the first semester of the first year of their undergraduate programmes;
- demonstrate a record of community service or charitable work, undertaken prior to their application for the AIA Scholarships; and
- must NOT be a recipient of an entrance or admission scholarships granted by HKBU**.
**Successful applicants who have also been awarded an entrance scholarship or an admission scholarship that subsidises the students’ local tuition fees will be required to relinquish such scholarships once they confirm acceptance of an AIA Scholarship, so that those resources are directed back to the University.
AIA Scholarships shall be awarded primarily on academic merit and participation in community services or charitable work. Where candidates are of equal merit, priority will be given to students from families experiencing financial difficulty and who would not otherwise have the opportunity to pursue a university education.
Indicators of proven financial need include, but are not limited to:
- being recipients of Hong Kong Government Grants/ loans; and/ or
- being from families who are recipients of Comprehensive Social Security Assistance (“CSSA”).
To renew the scholarship each year, awardee must (1) continue to study within the indicative programme duration at HKBU, (2) achieve a minimum cGPA of 3.00 each year; (3) participation in community services each year.
Please click here to download the application form.
Scan your pen-signed or stylus signed completed application form together with copies of required supporting documents into ONE (1) PDF file (size < 25MB) and upload the PDF onto our “Documents Upload Platform” at https://sfa.hkbu.edu.hk/supporting_docs/. Please select “AIA Scholarships 2021/22” once you logged in with your SSOid. We will NOT be able to receive your documents if you chose another scholarship scheme, so please click the scheme name carefully. The “Documents Upload Platform” will close automatically at 5:30pm on 21 January 2022 (Friday). We highly recommend you to upload your PDF file well before the deadline in case of technical problems.
Copies of certificates, records on SLES, student development portfolio, letters, name cards, emails, magazines, webpages, newspaper clippings and/or other documents that have (1) your name, (2) the position held and (3) the organization name can be used as the supporting documents for your activities/services. However, please highlight the relevant information. Note that activities/services listed on the form but without proofs will NOT be counted.
Partial submissions / late applications will NOT be considered. Form submission via email is not accepted.
Please click here for general tips on completing scholarship application forms.
Faculty members are welcome to recommend eligible students to apply.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend an internal selection interview in early/mid-February 2022. (It is a "MUST" to attend the interview in Hong Kong). However, there is no guarantee that all or any of the candidate(s) nominated will receive an award.
Note: Students who cannot attend the internal selection interview due to exchange/ placement/ internship should NOT apply.
AIA shall confirm the final awardees for AIA Scholarships in mid-March 2022. Awardees will be required to sign an award letter and acknowledgement of the Terms & Conditions for receiving the Scholarship. In addition, all awardees are obliged to attend the mandatory award presentation ceremony to be held in mid- to end-April 2022
For enquiries, please feel free to contact us at 3411 2307 / 3411 2311 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scholarships & Financial Aid Unit