Tertiary Student Finance Scheme: Publicly-funded Programmes (TSFS) and/or Non-means-tested Loan Scheme for Full-time Tertiary Students (NLSFT) 2013/14
Go back to: Government Grant and Loan / 2013/14 Grant/Loan Application
You are recommended to view the short videos in this website to know more about the details [starring FAMA(農夫)]:
Eligibility to apply for Tertiary Student Finance Scheme: Publicly-funded Programmes (TSFS) and Non-means-tested Loan Scheme for Full-time Tertiary Students (NLSFT):
- All full-time local students who are going to study full-time publicly-funded degree programmes at HKBU in academic year 2013/14; AND
- have the right of abode in Hong Kong or have resided or have had their home in Hong Kong continuously for three complete years prior to the commencement of the programme. (Students staying in Hong Kong holding student visas are NOT eligible)
Please check your full-time publicly-funded degree programmes here: (NOTE: some of the SFAA Course Codes are different from those used in 2012/13 or before)
– Postgraduates, HKALE holders and Non-JUPAS applicants (i.e. old curriculum programmes)
– HKDSE holders and Non-JUPAS applicants (i.e. new curriculum programmes)
B. TSFS [download form]
Tertiary Student Finance Scheme – Publicly-funded Programmes
TSFS provides means-tested financial assistance to eligible full-time students who are in need. The level of assistance depends on students’ family income and asset, the amount of payable annual tuition fees, and academic expenses. Financial assistance is provided in the form of a grant and/or loan.
Applicants are required to download 2013/14 electronic application form (e-form) and Guidance Notes from the Student Financial Assistance Agency (SFAA) website:
NO hard copy of the application form nor Guidance Notes nor Sample for Reference are provided. (The completed e-form has to be printed out and submitted with all supporting documents. For details of Submission Schedule and Procedures, please go to Part D below.)
B2. TSFS Form G / S IMPORTANT NOTES (MUST READ)
To save your time, you MUST click on the relevant link below and READ the notes (2-page) when completing and printing the form, and refer to the Checklist of Supporting Documents for your application. If your application form is not prepared according to the instructions, your application form will be returned and not be accepted until it is properly prepared.
TSFS Form G IMPORTANT NOTES (English version)
TSFS Form S IMPORTANT NOTES (English version)
Checklist of Supporting Documents: TSFS Form G / TSFS Form S
Form G [TSFS/GA(2013)] is a general application form applicable to all students applying for TSFS.
Form S [TSFS/SA(2013)] is a simplified application form. You may choose to submit Form S instead of Form G if and only if:
- you have an unmarried sibling residing with you and the sibling has submitted or is submitting an application for the 2013/14 TSFS or Financial Assistance Scheme for Post-secondary Students (FASP) under Form G; and
- you are not married.
Please be aware that Form S will only be processed after the SFAA has received the relevant Form G.
Information provided for your TSFS application MUST show details of the WHOLE YEAR in the period 1 April 2012 to 31 March 2013. Please also pay attention especially to the following items:
- If parent(s) and unmarried sibling(s) residing with applicant are casual workers, persons occupied in short-term employment, hawkers, self-employed persons or proprietors, please prepare a Self-prepared Income Breakdown as income proof (please refer to the samples on Page 55 of the Guidance Notes 2013/14 (English version)); if unemployed, please provide documentary proof stating the period of and reason for unemployment.
- All assets information of applicant and parents include all savings/investment-linked insurance policy(ies) with cash value and dividends.
- For “Net Back Items” or missing items/pages in bank passbooks/statements, please consult the bank(s) for reissuing the related transactions AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. (Since bank arrangements take times, please make your request to the bank(s) earlier.)
You should save your completed e-form to your computer, USB or other appropriate and safe storage device as backup, and keep a copy of all the supporting documents submitted, for later use or reference.
Notification of result
While applying for the TSFS, an application for the Non-means-tested Loan Scheme for Full-time Tertiary Students (NLSFT) will automatically be created for you as well. The notification of result will notify you the financial assistance offered to you under both TSFS and NLSFT respectively, if any.
If you wish to accept the NLSFT loan offered upon receiving of TSFS result, please:
follow the instructions stated in your TSFS notification of result, download and print the required acceptance of loan documents from the SFAA website: http://www.sfaa.gov.hk/eng/public/index.htm#nls (NO hard copy is provided); and submit the loan documents and the paid administrative fee bank pay-in slip to the SFAA, on or before the deadline stated in your TSFS notification of result.
If you do not reply the SFAA by following the procedures as instructed in the notification of result, your declining of the NLSFT loan is assumed.
Please refer to Part C below for more details of Non-means-tested Loan Scheme for Full-time Tertiary Students (NLSFT).
C. NLSFT [download form]
Non-means-tested Loan Scheme for Full-time Tertiary Students
NLSFT provides non-means-tested loans to eligible full time students to settle tuition fees and the accepted loan will be paid directly to the University. Based on the interest rate as at 1 June 2013, the revised interest rate will be 1.395% per annum (please note this interest rate will be adjusted according to the market). Interest will be commenced once the loan is paid out until it is fully repaid. Administrative fees are charged for each application and annually thereafter until the loan and interest are fully repaid.
If you have submitted or are submitting Tertiary Student Finance Scheme – Publicly-funded programmes (TSFS) 2013/14, you may consider waiting for the TSFS notification of result first (which includes the NLSFT result, if any).
If you wish to submit your NLSFT application separately, you should read the Guidance Notes and complete the NLSFT Application Form [NLSFT 112A(2013) (Chi) or NLSFT 112B(2013) (Eng)]. The Guidance Notes, Application Form and other relevant documents can be downloaded from the following SFAA webpages: (NO hard copy will be distributed at Office of Student Affairs or SFAA)
C3. NLSFT IMPORTANT NOTES (MUST READ)
To save your time, you MUST click the link here NLSFT IMPORTANT NOTES (English version) (2-page, including supporting documents needed) and READ the notes when completing the form. If your application form is not prepared according to the instructions, your application form will be returned and not be accepted until it is properly prepared.
D. Submission Schedule and Procedures
(TSFS and NLSFT)
You are strongly recommended to study the Guidance Notes, Sample for Reference and other reminder documents, which can be downloaded from:
Applications of HKBU students MUST be submitted to HKBU, which will forward all applications to SFAA for processing.
All completed application forms MUST be PRINTED OUT and submitted with all relevant supporting documents. Please pay attention to the instructions (Please refer to the above, with title “TSFS Form G / S IMPORTANT NOTES” / “NLSFT IMPORTANT NOTES”).
TSFS 2013/14 application:
|Current Students||New Students *
9 April 2013 (10:00am – 5:30pm)
10-11 April 2013 (9:30am – 5:30pm)
(deadline: 11 April 2013)
FSC 501, Level 5, Fong Shu Chuen Library, Ho Sin Hang Campus, HKBU
Online time slot reservation for form submission: (for TSFS ONLY)
(Submission period for current students is closed and reservation is not applicable now)
* If your family received Comprehensive Social Security Assistance (CSSA) from the Social Welfare Department in previous year / is receiving it now, the breadwinner of your family is unemployed or your family is facing special financial difficulties, you can make an advance submission personally to the Student Financial Assistance Agency (SFAA) from 9 August to 6 September 2013. Please ensure that your application form is duly completed and submitted together with all required supporting documents and information. Otherwise, your submission will not be accepted. [Time: 8:45am - 1:00pm and 2:00pm - 5:45pm; SFAA address: 11/F., Cheung Sha Wan Government Offices, 303 Cheung Sha Wan Road, Kowloon]
For other applicants, please follow the submission instructions in the above table.
Advance submission is NOT applicable to NLSFT.
NLSFT 2013/14 application:
Date and Venue of Submission: (same as TSFS above)
Submit NLSFT form ONLY – DO NOT RESERVE TIME SLOT! NO time slot reservation needed (submit NLSFT form during the above period and queue up as instructed in the venue)
Submit TSFS form ONLY – time slot reservation NEEDED
You will submit your application for AY2013/14 financial assistance (i.e. for your Year 1 study) in September 2013, as scheduled above.
You will have to submit your application for AY2014/15 financial assistance (i.e. for your Year 2 study) in April 2014, as a continuing/current student.
All continuing/current students with financial need have to submit application for Government financial assistance for your next academic year in April every year.
* Please check your student email and our website regularly for updates *
D5. Late Applications (incl. exchange students)
All applications submitted after the above deadline are regarded as late applications. According to the SFAA, late applications will NOT be accepted, except justification for special circumstance(s) is provided to the SFAA via Office of Student Affairs of our University. The written explanation of late application (either English or Chinese), attention to the SFAA, should include your detailed explanation for late application, your full name (same as the name on your HKID Card), HKID No. and signature.
For all late applications due to special circumstance(s), NO time slot reservation is needed, and should be submitted to Scholarships and Financial Aid Team, Office of Student Affairs, Level 8, Yeung Shui Sang Building, HSH Campus, HKBU (during Monday to Friday, 9am – 1pm and 2pm – 5:30pm [excluding public holidays]).
Please submit your late application with a written explanation as soon as possible (for current students: NO LATER THAN 8 Aug 2013) to the Office of Student Affairs.
Current students ONLY: If you are not able to submit your application before the deadline due to full-time internship/placement or overseas internship/placement/exchange programme, please submit your TSFS and/or NLSFT 2013/14 late applications right after the internship/exchange programme is completed, but in any case no later than 31 December 2013.
All late applications MUST be submitted to our Office first to process, and then you have to submit your application to the Student Financial Assistance Agency in Cheung Sha Wan yourself.
PAY ATTENTION: According to SFAA: Late submission of your application will delay the processing of your application. Therefore, submission of applications before deadlines is highly recommended.
D6. Online time slot reservation for TSFS form submission
New students: online time slot reservation will start from 4 Sept 2013 at 10:00am.
Current students: Submission period is closed and reservation is not applicable now.
(for TSFS only)
You are REQUIRED to reserve a time slot in advance for submission of TSFS application. (please carefully follow the instructions stated during reservation)
Website for online time slot reservation:
* Reservation is NOT applicable to current students. If current students still have to submit a late application now, please browse part D5. Late Applications above.
There is a limited quota for each time slot. The reservation is on a first-come, first-served basis. If the time slot you prefer is full, please select another time slot that is not full yet.
- After time slot reservation, you have to print out the “Confirmation of Time Slot Reservation” EMAIL from your HKBU student email box and present this printout as proof upon submission. (Please follow the instructions stated during reservation.) If you cannot present the printout upon submission, you have to queue up in the walk-in line. (If you cannot view the confirmation email content in the SSOid platform (BUniPort), please check the email through the gmail platform.)
- Please reserve a time slot as early as possible. If all the slots you prefer are already full, please submit your form by queuing up in the walk-in line. (Submitting application late due to not reserving a time slot is NOT a justifiable reason for late application.)
- Please note: It will usually be very crowded on the deadline (12 Sept 2013). The queuing time for both time-slot-reserved line and walk-in line will thus be inevitably longer. You are strongly encouraged to reserve the earlier time slots during the 2-day form submission period.
- If you need to apply for Government financial assistance, please arrange your time to submit your application. Reserving a time slot for form submission is to avoid students queuing up for too long and thus to save students’ time. We strongly recommend all of you who would like to apply for TSFS 2013/14 to reserve a time slot for your form submission as early as possible. If you have any further questions, please contact us.
Walk-in: If you have not reserved any time slot or show up in a time slot that you have not reserved, you have to queue up in the walk-in line and your form submission will only be processed AFTER ALL submissions of time-slot-reserved students are completed. Please note that the waiting time is not guaranteed. Submitting application late due to not reserving a time slot is NOT a justifiable reason for late application.
Submit NLSFT form ONLY – DO NOT reserve any time slot! NO time slot reservation needed (submit NLSFT form during the above period and queue up as instructed in the venue)
Submit TSFS form ONLY – time slot reservation NEEDED
D7. Note for UGC-funded research postgraduates [i.e. MPhil and PhD]
If your postgraduate programme starts between March 2013 and February 2014, please submit an application for TSFS and/or NLSFT AY2013/14 (as a new student), within ONE month following the commencement of the programme, in any case not later than 31 March 2014.
Note: If the academic year of the financial assistance you apply for is for your Year 1 study, please submit your TSFS/NLSFT application as a NEW student. Otherwise, please submit it as a continuing student. Since the commencement date of Research Prograduate (RPG) Programmes varies, RPG students may not be able to meet the deadlines stated above. Therefore, please pay special attention to your commencement date and tuition fee due dates, and submit your TSFS/NLSFT application for the correct academic year AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, so that you could receive the financial assistance earlier to pay for your tuition fee.
If the study and studentship information (on Page 5 of TSFS form and Page 2 of NLSFT form) cannot be confirmed upon your TSFS/NLSFT form submission, please still submit your application earlier for processing. Then submit the relevant information to SFAA once Graduate School can confirm the information and fill in the corresponding page.
Should you have any question, please contact us.
Please follow the procedures below:
- Complete the whole form yourself first.
- Pass your completed form to the Office of Graduate School (AAB904, 9/F, Academic and Administration Building, 15 HKBU Road) for filling in the information of tuition fee and studentship, and for certifying your study status, in Part G(b) on Page 5 of your TSFS application form (for both Form G and S) and/or Part D(b) on Page 2 of your NLSFT application form.
- You will be informed to collect your verified form by the Office of Graduate School (usually in ONE WEEK time). Therefore, please pass your completed form to the Office of Graduate School for verification at least ONE WEEK BEFORE your form submission.
- If you submit during the Submission Period as mentioned in Part D Submission Schedule and Procedures above, please follow the instructions in Part D. If you submit outside the Submission Period as mentioned in Part D, please submit to Scholarships & Financial Aid Team, Office of Student Affairs, YSS801B, 8/F, Yeung Shui Sang Building, HSH Campus, during Monday to Friday, 9am – 1pm and 2pm – 5:30pm.
E. Other Important Notes
- If you have a sibling residing with you and he/she is going to submit an application for TSFS, NLSFT, FASP and/or NLSPS but not studying in HKBU, you and your sibling should hand in the application form to your own institutions separately.
- PLEASE CHECK YOUR HKBU STUDENT EMAIL AND THIS WEBSITE REGULARLY FOR UP-TO-DATE INFORMATION.
- To safeguard private information of yours and your family’s, PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION FORM IN PERSON.
- Please pay attention to your tuition fee due dates every year. Debit note will be issued 2 weeks before the date of payment. Please visit the following websites for tuition fee payment details.
Finance Office: http://fohome.hkbu.edu.hk/fopage.html
Academic Registry: http://buar2.hkbu.edu.hk/ (Dates of tuition fee payment are printed on Academic Calendar)
Frequently Asked Questions
Online time slot reservation for TSFS form submission: (TSFS only) [For details, please refer to the above with the same title]
New students: online time slot reservation will start from 4 Sept 2013 at 10:00am.
Current students: Submission period is closed and reservation is not applicable now.
F1. The time slot I would like to reserve is full. What can I do?
If the time slot you prefer is full, please select another time slot that is not full yet. If all the slots you prefer are already full, please submit your form by queuing up in the walk-in line.
F2. I have not reserved any time slot. Does it mean I cannot submit my application?
No. Applicants who need to apply for TSFS but have not reserved a time slot still need to submit their application during the submission period (11-12 Sept 2013), queuing up in the walk-in line in the venue. Submitting application late due to not reserving a time slot is NOT a justifiable reason for late application.
F3. How long will I have to queue up in the walk-in line if I show up in a time slot that I have not reserved?
Submissions of time-slot-reserved students will be processed first. Please note that the waiting time is not guaranteed. It will usually be very crowded on the deadline. The queuing time for both time-slot-reserved line and walk-in line will thus be inevitably longer. You are strongly encouraged to reserve the earlier time slots during the 2-day form submission period.
F4. If I submit my application after the deadline due to special circumstance(s), do I need to reserve a time slot? Where should I submit it to?
For all late applications due to special circumstance(s) [including full-time internship/placement or overseas internship/placement/exchange programme during the form submission period], NO time slot reservation is needed. According to the SFAA, late applications will NOT be accepted, except justification for special circumstance(s) is provided to the Office of Student Affairs and thus the SFAA. Please submit your application to the Scholarships and Financial Aid Team, Office of Student Affairs (Level 8, Yeung Shui Sang Building, Ho Sin Hang Campus, HKBU) (during Monday to Friday, 9am – 1pm and 2pm – 5:30pm) AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, together with a written explanation for your late application. [For details, please refer to the above with the title "Late Applications".]
F5. If I submit NLSFT form only, do I need to reserve a time slot for form submission?
NO time slot reservation needed. (submit NLSFT form during the submission period and queue up as instructed in the venue)
F6. If I submit TSFS form, do I need to reserve a time slot for form submission?
YES. [For details, please refer to the above with the title "Online time slot reservation for TSFS form submission".]
F7. Is it a must to submit my application to Office of Student Affairs, HKBU?
Yes. All applications have to be preliminarily processed by our Office before forwarding to SFAA for processing.
F8. Can I still submit my application after the deadline?
Yes. Please refer to Question F4 above.
F9. I cannot submit my application before the deadline due to full-time internship/placement or overseas internship/placement/exchange programme. What can I do?
Please refer to Question F4 above.
F10. Where can I get an application form?
Both TSFS and NLSFT application forms for AY2013/14 are ONLY available for download in the SFAA webpages listed below. NO hard copy of any document will be distributed (including application forms, Guidance Notes, Sample for Reference, etc.).
TSFS: http://www.sfaa.gov.hk/eng/public/index.htm#tsfs (English)
NLSFT: http://www.sfaa.gov.hk/eng/public/index.htm#nls (English)
F11. Should I submit my TSFS application on time if some of the supporting documents are not available upon submission?
Yes. Supporting documents that are unavailable upon submission of application MUST be stated on page 15 of TSFS Form G / page 9 of TSFS Form S. Please submit these currently unavailable documents to the Government Student Financial Assistance Agency (SFAA) (AP Unit, 11/F, Cheung Sha Wan Government Offices, 303 Cheung Sha Wan Road, Kowloon) AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, indicating your Application No., full name and HKID no. on the document(s). Applicants have the responsibility to submit all relevant supporting documents without further request. Please NOTE: The document-request letter from SFAA that was issued or may be issued to you is served as a kind of WARNING LETTER. Further understatement(s)/ omission(s) may cause rejection to application. Applicant might further be required to refund all the financial assistance received and be prosecuted. For more details, please refer to the above with title “TSFS Form G / S IMPORTANT NOTES”.
Since currently unavailable supporting documents can be submitted to the SFAA later (EXCEPT copy of applicant’s HKID Card, Student Card and bank account proof with applicant’s name and account number (the one filled in on page 4 of your TSFS form)), please arrange your time and submit your application before the deadline. Please note that incomplete information will delay the processing of your application.
F12. Can I submit my TSFS application if my parent(s) / spouse (if any) / sibling (who will submit a relevant Form G) have not signed on my application form?
NO. Application forms without all required signatures on page 16-17 of TSFS Form G / page 10-11 of TSFS Form S will not be accepted. If the persons-concerned cannot sign on your form due to special reason(s) (e.g. out of town or sickness), please submit your form as late application once all the required signatures are made, with a written explanation supporting your late application, stating the reason(s) of applying late. (For more details, please refer to the above with title “Late Applications”.)
F13. (for current students) I am going to promote to Year 2 and I will not know my study major in Year 2 until July. However, I have to apply for TSFS / NLSFT in April. What should I write for the programme information on the application form?
Write the course names and course codes of your CURRENT PROGRAMME (of Year 1) on the application form and write “Year 2″ for your Study Year.
F14. I cannot print page 1 and 3 of the TSFS form. Why?
Please make sure that filling in all fields in red in the application form and selecting “We / I” on Page 17 of Form G / Page 11 of Form S must be done by COMPUTER. Otherwise, some pages may not be able to be printed out. Please refer to the above with title “TSFS Form G / S IMPORTANT NOTES”.
Student Financial Assistance Agency (SFAA)
2802 2345 (24-hour hotline)
2150 6000 (TSFS – Tertiary Student Finance Scheme: Publicly-funded Programmes)
2150 6222 (NLSFT – Non-means-tested Loan Scheme for Full-time Tertiary Students)
Address: 11/F, Cheung Sha Wan Government Offices, 303 Cheung Sha Wan Road, Kowloon
Scholarships and Financial Aid (SFA) Team
Office of Student Affairs (SA)
Tel: 3411 2307 / 3411 2302
Fax: 3411 5983
Address: 8/F, Yeung Shui Sang Building, Ho Sin Hang Campus, Hong Kong Baptist University, Kowloon Tong, Kowloon
Facebook Group：HKBU Scholarships & Financial Aid Team
Monday to Friday – 9:00am to 1:00pm and 2:00pm to 5:30pm
Saturday – 9:00am to 12:00noon*
Sunday and Public Holidays – Closed
(* For enquiries and form submission/collection on Saturday, please contact our team in advance during Monday to Friday to make sure there is SFA staff on duty on Saturday. Otherwise, your requests may not be satisfied upon your arrival.)