Introduction to Election of Student Members to the Senate
- Results of the Election of Student Members to the Senate 2017/2018
- Senate Related Statues
- Terms of Reference
- Regulations Governing the Conduct of Elections of Undergraduate and Postgraduate Student Member to Senate
- Contact Your Student Senator
- Download Nomination Forms (Nomination Period for the Elecion in 2017 has closed.)
Student Participation in the Senate
The Senate regulates the academic affairs of the University as well as the welfare and discipline of the students. It is therefore important that students are represented so that their views and concerns are properly addressed in the Senate. Currently, there are altogether 9 student members represented in the Senate:
- The President for the time being of the University’s Student Union (ex officio);
- One full-time undergraduate student elected from each Faculty/School or equivalent body; and
- One postgraduate student elected by the postgraduate students.
Who can run for the Election?
According to the “Regulations Governing the Conduct of Elections of Undergraduate and Postgraduate Student Member to Senate”, a student can run for the Election (i.e. to become a Nominee) if he/she is:
- a full-time undergraduate student of good academic standing (with a cumulative GPA of not less than 2.0) and not under disciplinary probation or suspension of studies at the time of nomination; or
- a *postgraduate student of good academic standing (for students registered in taught postgraduate courses, a cumulative GPA of not less than 2.5) and not under disciplinary probation or suspension of studies at the time of nomination, who has been properly proposed and seconded for election.
* “postgraduate student” shall mean a person who is registered in the University for: a full-time or part-time course of study, successful completion of which will lead to the award of a Postgraduate Diploma or a Master’s degree; or a research degree (M.Phil or PhD)
Nominations for election shall only be made on forms provided by the Office of Student Affairs for the purpose.
|Type of Student||Requirements to be nominated|
|For Undergraduate Students:||nomination shall be signed by a proposer and 10 seconders, who are full-time undergraduate students from the respective Faculty/School or equivalent body|
|For Postgraduate Students:||nomination shall be signed by a proposer and two seconders, who are postgraduate students|
How can I vote?
1. Eligibility A full-time undergraduate student, or a postgraduate student, who is registered at a Faculty/School/Academy shall have the right to vote during the Election Period in accordance with the provisions of the Regulations Governing the Conduct of Elections of Undergraduate and Postgraduate Student Member to Senate
2. Cast your vote online during the election period.
Should you have further enquiries, please feel free to contact us via: